1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I won't speak the probability of an already-impoverished city being hit hardest by the financial crisis and thus driving murders. Maybe the open-air drug markets are directly correlated to the impact of the financial crisis and maybe said drug markets were magically closed because the residents felt better about the police force closing them.

Here's another fact we know:

Three years after the formation of the county police force, Camden led the state in excessive force complaints:

Complaints rise under Camden police

An analysis of four incidents for which The Inquirer interviewed those detained and reviewed hospital and police reports reveals a pattern in which stops usually made for minor infractions rapidly escalate. Three of the four individuals involved either filed complaints of excessive force or initiated related claims.

At least a dozen other individuals also have filed suits or tort claims against the county, alleging that its officers used excessive force or arrested them without just cause.

Camden County Police Chief Scott Thomson says excessive-force complaints account for a tiny fraction — fewer than 1 percent — of the thousands of arrests each year. The American Civil Liberties Union is struck by another statistic: zero. That’s how many excessive-force complaints authorities in Camden have upheld against officers in recent years.

More:

Andy McNeil, spokesman for the Prosecutor’s Office, tied the rise in excessive-force complaints to an increase in the number of officers, from fewer than 300 in 2012 — when there were 41 complaints — to nearly 400 now.

So here's the picture I see emerging, and I know you don't much like it, but anyway:

They dismantled the city police force. They rebranded it as the county police force. They hired more cops, who pulled a lot of excessive shit, closed down the drug markets, and here we are now. Plus, they knock on doors and play basketball and all the rest of it.

2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I don't think he necessarily wanted to kill a black guy, but I think 100 percent he did not care about that black man's life once his knee was on the man's neck.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I don't know if he had personal animus against Floyd and wanted to kill him. I don't know if he hated black people and wanted to kill one.

There's no way to know, unless he told other people or posted such on his social media.

What I do know is that he kneeled on a man's neck for nearly nine minutes, as he complained that he could not breathe, and for two minutes after he said his last words. He killed him. He should be prosecuted to the full extent that the evidence will support.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd also add that any police officer that stands by and allows another officer to do such things, or to obstruct reform measures - should be shown the door.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As you say the numbers increased (I haven't verified); but since it's become a County jurisdiction reather than a City, hasn't the geographic area being covered increased as well? If so, then wouldn't that explain numbers increasing?

In any event, its not about the numbers of police officers, its about HOW they conduct their business.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's not that I don't like it. It's that you are creating a ridiculous narrative that is just false. This wasn't cosmetic. And this narrative about all these cops they have flooded the city with, is just wrong. There were 370 police on the old city force. The reason the number of cops got so low from that story you are misusing to create a narrative, is that they were forced to lay off 168 cops in January, 2011 when contract negotiations with the union hit an impasse and the city had a budget shortfall. It was a temporary thing, not something that had been done by design or that lasted very long. It was a moment in time. When they formed the new force in 2013, it was with 401 cops. It is still at 401 cops. From 370 back in the old days.

The reality -- and this isn't me creating "emerging pictures that I see," it's what they actually said and did -- they decided that the city police force was beyond reform. So they disbanded it and replaced it with something new. They ended up hiring back many of the cops, but they had to do a 50-page application, retake psychological tests and be reinterviewed. The big change was that by putting policing under the auspices of the county, they weren't bound by union rules and restrictions, and with that weight off of them they completely changed the way they police. How they interact with the community. They are way more accountable and on a way tighter leash.

There were 65 excessive force complaints in 2012. There were 3 last year. This wasn't the cosmetic change you are insisting on, with business as usual staying the same. That is just not true.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I would argue that what cops there believed it took to close down the drug markets - which was the key source of the murder problem - is part of what triggered the excessive force complaints.

But perhaps not. Perhaps the crackdown on those was mutually exclusive to the excessive force complaints.

Nevertheless, your primary argument has been that policing doesn't have that much to do with homicide rates. The economy does. So why would police reforms you prefer - and hell, I prefer, though I believe they come with trade-offs - have the effect that the absence of cops did not.

Further, it costs a lot of money. It's opposite of defunding. Camden did not defund its police. It poured a lot of money into...its police.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'd agree with that. It wasn't defunded, though. It got more funding.

As for the size, this is old, from 2014, but notable:

Why Camden, N.J., the Murder Capital of the Country, Disbanded Its Police Force

By the time the force is fully staffed, which the county expects will be later this summer, Camden will have 411 full-time sworn officers, or about 53 for every 10,000 residents. Cities of populations exceeding 50,000 employed an average of 17 officers per 10,000 residents in the most recent 2012 data reported to the FBI. Only Washington, D.C., recorded a higher tally that year – about 61 officers per 10,000 residents – than Camden will once its new force is fully up and running.

And, again, once they hired these cops, the city led the state in excessive force complaints.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Are the cadillac pensions and benefits still being funded?

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That wasn't my "primary argument."

"Homicide rates" or whatever simp thing you keep trying to draw me into. ... are not a single barometer of the society I want to live in (or that anyone should). I am sure that the homocide rate in Pyongyang is incredibly low. I wouldn't want to live under that police force either.

The point of the discussion (and what I actually said) was that Camden had a corrupt police force terrorizing the people who lived there, on top of the widespread poverty and crime ridden areas that made it a tough place. They decided what they had was so out of control that it couldn't be reformed, and they disbanded the police department. What they came up with instead, is radically different in approach from what they had, and by all accounts it is way more accountable to the people there, rather than the people there having to be accountable to a corrupt and authoritarian police.

Since I posted that, you have been googling up random articles and making up narratives to try to convince me that what happened isn't what actually happened.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'm just troubled by people not wanting to get the best possible understanding of why Chauvin and his accomplices did what they did.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If it costs more money but the police treat people more like neighbors with a problem than as heads to bust, that's money well spent.

Draft saved Draft deleted