1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Both the virologists and the cardiologists were happy the fair was canceled.

OscarMadison and Spartan Squad like this.
  2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Whither the butter cow?

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

There were newsreels showing what storming a beach against the Japanese looked like. Kamikazes. Civilian women leaping off the cliffs of Saipan to avoid capture, some holding their children. Invading the Japanese home islands was going to be a stubborn, bloody, yard by yard thing, and we knew it. There would have been tens of thousands of American casualties.

It might be pointed out that the lives in Hiroshima and Nagasaki were Japanese lives, and we really didn't worry about those too much at that point.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Help was available that would have ended things quickly without an atomic bomb.

The Legacy of the Soviet Offensives of August 1945 | Asia Maritime Transparency Initiative

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

When he agreed to at Yalta. Three months after Germany's surrender.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Chuckling. Quite the stickler was Uncle Joe. Never let other developments force his hand.

8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I don't like it, either. And my thought about the missed milestones and life in general is that you find the specialness when and where you can. We're not promised anything but oxygen and the day we woke up in. It's up to us to make our own magic.

Okay, so take care of yourself, for her and you. She may not need NEED you, but imagine how she'd feel if you got sick.

Here's how I look at it: I'm diabetic. (I know... #TooMuchOfAFixerUpper #RunAwayRunAway) I love food. I love to cook. I love to study how people eat. I love how it's used to express everything from happiness to religious identity to mourning to political resistance, and so on. If I just eat anything I want when I want, I run the risk of losing my sight, losing limbs, possibly shortening my life. When I was first diagnosed, there were people in my support group who declared they could not live without a tube of Oreos, mama's nanner pudding, a bag of m&ms, fatty fried stuff... They were serious. These are things we could eventually have once in a while. They're things we can alter in amount or composition. Still, there were people who wanted things the way they'd always had them. Nothing else would do.

What we are losing, or really delaying right now, even if it feels like it's in the name of an overabundance of caution, can be made up. What we risk losing if we don't take these precautions can't be regained, or at least can't be regained easily or soon.

Once again, because I am a noodge (@outofplace, you think you're the only descendant of Red Sea Pedestrians here?) It sucks, but we're all muddling through this. Take care of yourself.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It was "help" not help. We really, really didn't want Stalin getting a foothold in Japan. As it was, it took 46 years to get him out of Germany, which was impressive considering he died in 1953.

Fred siegle likes this.
  10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I had it in April. Nobody wants this. I had it “mild” and still required an emergency room visit because I felt like someone was taking a vacuum and sucking the air out of my lungs. I still don’t know what the long-term effects will be.

The worst part is no cough will be productive. You can’t clear it. It’s a helpless feeling.

And, again, I had a relatively mild case with no fever or cough.

OscarMadison and TigerVols like this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Wow. Glad you recovered well. Eye-opener on a “mild” case.

I had walking pneumonia in my mid-20s. Sounds similar. First symptom was pain in my middle back. Thought it was a pulled muscle from playing basketball.

Later that night or the next day I couldn’t catch my breath. Thought I might be having a heart attack.

Drugs doc gave me knocked it out pretty quickly but it was an awful week or so.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted