1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

52, never lived above the Mason-Dixon, proud to be a Southerner (even though I fucking loathe some aspects of our section of the country). That's what was taught to me over the years.

It took many years of deprogramming (starting with getting to know some black students in college) to realize this was done to fuck with black people and remind them they are second-class citizens. For example, my high school was founded in 1963 as the city was integrating, given a Rebels mascot and Dixie as the fight song. It was placed on the edge of town, where new subdivisions were going up, which white flight accelerated. Once I realized the timing of all that ... I mean, come on, that's pretty freakin' obvious what you're doing.

I still can't believe the General Lee with a battle flag on the roof was part of a long-running network TV show.

This was in the NASCAR thread. Figured it might be good to crosspost.

The Confederate flag is finally gone at NASCAR races, and I won't miss it for a second

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I still can't believe the General Lee with a battle flag on the roof was part of a long-running network TV show.

Well, one of the top TV programs in the mid-1960s was a sitcom set in a Nazi prison camp, with a German soldier as a loveable character, so it's not all that unbelievable.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

EaM2tyHX0AEyDPo.png

Baron Scicluna, garrow, qtlaw and 3 others like this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

I never got into that show in reruns. Totally forgot it.

7. Inky_Wretch

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

We all know goddam well what flag will replace the confederate flag.

337851F0-5D5E-42C8-A1FF-9057D5972957.png

9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

but a couple of short years later there was a black car as the star of the show but noooooo that wasn't good enough
    [​IMG]

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Damn, all of these statues tripping and falling. What can be done?

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I'll add that when I saw Skynyrd on their 80s reunion tour, a big moment was the unfurling of a giant Fetty flag in back of the stage. Tbe crowd at Nassau Coliseum went wild.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I hope they bleed.

Draft saved Draft deleted