1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

As with the looting/shooting language, there is no chance Trump has ever heard of Juneteenth or the Tulsa Riots. But Stephen Miller has and when Trump said that he wanted to get back on the road, I’m sure that they pushed him for that date and location.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Right. I suspect some variation of that has been in play his whole presidency. I don't think Donald Trump is particularly bright or curious, but even if I am wrong about that, it's clear that he isn't a worker or someone who learns details about things he makes decisions about.

So let's say that Stephen Miller does what you suggested. Then, Trump hits the phones to Steve Schwarzman, or whoever else he talks to during the hours he is not in the Oval Office and not doing work, and he asks how he is doing. Those people say, "Donald, WTF are you doing? Juneteenth, Tulsa Riots, etc." Or, "Donald, what was with that stupid church thing? Everyone knows you are an immoral shit who doesn't go to church, and you just cleared a park of people with stoomtroopers to hold a bible upside down outside of a shuttered church? You are trying to appeal to a small group of idiots and really turning off everyone else."

At that point, Trump is either dismissing them, because he is the smartest guy on earth and he just refuses to accept reality, no matter how much people pelt him with it, or he is actually a racist creep who may not have known anything about the Tulsa riots, but when he is clued in, is all about the racism. I mean, if he's not a horrible person, Stephen Miller (or whoever it is) wouldn't have that kind of influence over him.

OscarMadison and Webster like this.
  3. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Ciccarelli is a part-time competitor in the NASCAR Gander RV & Outdoors Truck Series, driving the No. 49 truck. Through 18 races over the span of three years, he has one top-10 finish (the 2019 Corrigan Oil 200) along with no wins and no poles.

So, in other words, he's going back to Bubba's garage and BBQ to resume his day job.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I think that the titans of industry who counsel him stay in their economic lanes because the last thing which they want is for Trump to turn on them.

OscarMadison and Dyno like this.
  5. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

No seriously.

The only thing he cares about is the feedback loop he gets from Fox News, OAN, Sean Hannity, and Rush Limbaugh.

He acts and governs exactly as a constant consumer and true believer of the Conservative Infotainment Complex would.

Webster likes this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Education. Reading different viewpoints. Getting more serious about everything thanks to having a kid. Getting back to church.

I never flew it. I knew so many people - good people - who kept espousing the “Southern heritage” version of what it meant. They said the right things, but didn’t DO the right thing when it came to our fellow Southerners whose ancestors were enslaved and lynched and segregated and denied jobs.

I turned a blind eye to it for far damn too long. It’s one of the most shameful parts of my life. I’m embarrassed by it.

Plus, a lot of that on here was I got baited into defending the South as a whole by a troll who no longer posts here. Next thing I knew, I was defending Southerners who flew it - even though I knew better IRL. Again, shameful on my part on many levels.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

He’s also 50 years old, so he didn’t have many races in him anyways. Now He can go back to the Confederate Mecca of .....Ellicott City, Murruhlind.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I really appreciate this post. And I really like you, at least the you I feel like I have gotten to know on here.

I never really bought the "southern heritage" thing, because the statues that are finally getting dealt with, and the resurgence of that flag, were a product of the period after reconstruction when whites in the South began to terrorize blacks. It's clear what it is meant to accomplish.

But let's say there are actually people who don't see it as a racist symbol, but instead fly the thing as a "southern heritage" symbol of some sort. First, why would you cling to a heritage that is predicated on racism and some horrible chapters? Second, why would you cling to a symbol that you know a huge segment of other people find offensive and threatening?

That is why I always felt that the "southern heritage" stuff is just BS that shameful people are hiding behind. If I am doing or saying something, and a group of people come to me and say, "That really is offensive to us," I may not even get why they are so offended (although in the case of the confederate flag, I don't see how anyone can not get it). But it is super easy for me to change the way I refer to something or to avoid a symbol that others find offensive.

gingerbread and OscarMadison like this.
  9. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

The "its our heritage" is the offspring of the Lost Causers, and the effect they had on how we taught the Civil War for 150 years.

Bottom line: When it came to reconstruction, we were way too nice and way too accommodating to the slavers, and then their ancestors (the segregationists).

Dog8Cats likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I almost have this image of Trump in a room ranting about stuff while watching Fox News and Baron comes in (who always struck me as the potential Roman Roy of the family) and accidentally gives his dad all his best ideas through sarcasm.
    "Why don't you take all of your army guys over there and hold up a bible - that'll show 'em dad."
    "You may as well hold a rally where they had the worst race riot in America - and do it on Juneteenth for good measure."
    "Nazis marched on Charlottesville? I'm sure they were very fine ones - only the best."
    "A pandemic? Probably a hoax. Old people get tired of dying of the usual stuff - only young people die from new and interesting reasons like chugging Tide pods and AIDS. I'm sure grammy and grampa just wanna seem more hip and get attention."
    "Yeah building the wall is great - but you know what's really great? Crying kids in cages!"
    "Shoot dad - you should start reaching out to the Russians before the election to show people how presidential you are."
    He probably also bought his mom the "I Don't Care" jacket.

OscarMadison, qtlaw and garrow like this.
  11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

It had a great setup.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

In that situation, I’m pretty sure that Barron would be the most adult in the room.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted