1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I saw some articles yesterday indicating overdoses were up, too. There's going to be a lot of damage

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have read a few things talking about how the pandemic screwed up supplies of street drugs. As a result of the distribution channels being cut off when things were shut down, drugs of choice for a lot of addicts got harder to come by, and the drugs available were cut or weakened in potency. Then, when a lot of places opened up a few weeks ago, the potency of some drugs got stronger very quickly, and unexpectedly for a lot of addicts, and that triggered a rash of overdoses.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yes, sadly.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www.fldoe.org/core/fileparse.php/19861/urlt/FLDOEReopeningCARESAct.pdf

What I see is a heavy focus on the reasons why schools need to re-open, primarily because it is necessary for student learning and for the economy, with very little detail on how they are going to do it safely. The state is pushing the how onto the local districts. I've only had time to give it a quick glance, but I have zero confidence that this is going to be done safely. We are already seeing spikes in COVID cases in the states who have re-opened without proper precautions and it is only going to get worse in the fall.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Here in Mass. tentative guidelines for re-opening schools have been issued indicating that class sizes must be smaller to allow for distancing. This came out the same day local school districts sent layoff advance notices to between 10-20 percent of the teachers in the state because of the holes the shutdown blew in their budgets. Another dilemma no one in authority seems to be thinking about.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is the real killer, one that I've brought up multiple times. I haven't heard of any viable plan for re-opening schools that isn't at least a little more expensive than business as usual, but nobody seems to want to pay for that.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Well, no. You can’t catch AIDS by being in the same room with someone who has it like you can with Covid. The two are not comparable.

2muchcoffeeman and Inky_Wretch like this.
  9. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Our district in Florida has been polling parents, but there aren't many good options. I agree the kids should be in school. I don't think you can start a year with distance learning. But going to school every other day is a non-starter. You can't do that to kids. Wake up one morning, but not the next. wake up one morning but not the next. Every other week? Maybe. But that leaves everyone except the students being exposed everyday. It's a puzzle and DeSantis basically said he's not helping.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Basically, our leaders are giving up on a health crisis. They'll reopen everything by the time school rolls around. It's every person for themselves at that point.

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

South Carolina just reopened bowling alleys.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's true. But you CAN make a conscious decision --- "I am going to make my chances of catching COVID as infinitesimal as possible" (as you can do with AIDS) --- by adjusting your behavior accordingly.

Several vulnerable people on this board are doing just that.

I think what the poster was trying to say is that we may have to grudgingly accept a reality that says, "Do whatever YOU feel is necessary to stay safe, but beyond that, the world will continue to function close to normal."

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted