1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

We had a regular caller to a newspaper I worked at - she'd generally just want to talk to "a reporter" about something and I'd take the call - sounded like a nice little old lady, very polite, like she wanted something explained to her better - and then you would and she'd proceed to earn her nickname "Racist Grandma" by turning into a hateful person on a dime. Weirdest thing. You'd get off the phone with a look and still stunned and a colleague would say "Racist Grandma?"
    And then there is "Independent Guy" - "I'm not a Democrat, I'm not a Republican, I'm just asking questions." And would proceed to quote chapter and verse from Fox News. I just don't engage with either - trying to has been clinically proven to only reinforce and harden racist views.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    OscarMadison likes this.
  3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Trump: the man and the moment.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Put them in very tall buildings near a window.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That only works for getting rid of Russian statues.

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

He would have placed higher but his vehicle was weighed down by the gun rack and truck nuts.

jr/shotglass and swingline like this.
  7. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

I am at least somewhat skeptical that this is real. Media's been burned by falling for misleading social media.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So Trump spoke in Dallas yesterday about the police reform and racial injustice. The city's chief of police, county sheriff and DA were not invited. That's weird. I wonder why not.

<Looks at their photos.>

Oh, now it makes sense.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

She claims to have support of the government. I wonder who gave her that idea?

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

How can Torrance Karen not have been identified yet?

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is where the Karen thing goes really wrong for me. I thought it already had gone wrong with the NYC Central Park woman, whose real name was Amy, and who was actually way more of an Amy than she was a Karen.

Karen is a midwestern, blonde whose entire wardrobe comes from a Talbots. This Torrance woman? She is more of a Reba or a Tonya or perhaps a Bessie.

Am I wrong about this?

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yes. There’s only one Reba.

[​IMG]

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted