1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

This is good news.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The social contract isn’t moot for me. It’s not moot for my friend, who lost her mother yesterday and will have a limited gathering at a funeral.

But it’s moot if you have the right politics, isn’t it? Ozarks pool fest is not OK, Applebee’s not OK, but Chaz is OK, because, well, yeah, progressivism and because, if you don’t like what they’re doing, well, go fuck yourself. That’s a basic law of how this works, too, and it isn’t any different around these parts. One side, when pushed to explain anything, just says go fuck yourself, and that works, because, well, yeah, cools.

It isn’t for any other reason, is it? The virus is not moral. It isn’t going to spare Chaz because of progressive goodness. Kids in Seattle May not go to in person school in the fall - we already know that’ll hurt poor folks more - but these expressive politicos can watch movies and spray paint shit and chant and take over whole blocks of a city because...they have the correct politics.

Am I wrong?

3. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

That is a very good point.

BTExpress likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I meant more as a type of chronic problem where the risk needs to be managed not ignored, still deadly, but treatable or at least manageable. People are still dying of it (13k a year), getting it (30k in 2016) and more than 1 million people are living with it.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes, you are wrong. It sucks these protests are happening right now. It sucks even more that they HAVE to happen right now. That said, if you can't see a difference between people gathering to fight injustice and for equality versus people gathering to drink White Claws at a lakeside bar ... well, that's on you.

As somebody who lives in a deep red county in a deep red state, I've seen a higher percentage of mask wearing and social distancing at our local protests than anywhere else. Your mileage may vary. Trumpists have convinced a whole fuckton of my neighbors there's nothing to worry about and everything can go back to "normal" any day now. That may affect the health of me or my family. That pisses me off.

6. Jerry-atric

Many people were upset about the protests against lockdowns. I believe Alma has made a very good point. I am not trying to be argumentative.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I mean, I'm not wrong. I do see the difference. The difference is politics. More to the point, the correct progressive politics. That you happen to agree with those politics isn't material to my point. Hell, I agree with some of the politics. I don't think Chaz - which, again, is not a protest, but a full-on, 24-hour-a-day sit-in of fake revolutionaries demanding to defund the police along with 20+ other demands - is helpful at all, but I get why there are protests in general.

I'm saying a lot of it was being allowed because of the politics. Which is true. Businesses were destroyed, buildings burned, people killed, the virus almost certainly could have spread...but it was OK because, politics. The cause was greater than public health.

Now, if you think Chaz = the cause, well, OK, then. Do you?

8. Inky_Wretch

I’m currently at a local drive-up burger stand. There are 17 people standing around or sitting at picnic tables waiting on orders. I’m the only one wearing a mask or keep distant from others.

9. Inky_Wretch

I don’t give a rat’s ass about Chaz. Why are you obsessed with it?

10. Jerry-atric

If they are outdoors, they may have read the interview that Azrael shared.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Technically Kudlow is correct: This is just an extension and revitalization of the first spike. The virus didn’t go anywhere and infections nationwide never plummeted.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Mods, how long are you going to put up with this?

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted