1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Three Jens where I work. Out of 50 or so women.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Hell, some of the people I hang around with, if you say "Susan" you're going to be right most of the time.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I have a mom, cousin and aunt named Susan.

My sister preferred Jennifer or Jen. Adamant going back to when she was young to never, ever be called Jenny.

Justin_Rice and ChrisLong like this.
  5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Through junior high, there were four guys named Chris in most of my classes. One teacher called us by our last names. The guys didn't care, the girls were freaked out by it because it had never happened to them before.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

This past year, we had two kids in the same grade with the same first and last name. It got really confusing when we'd talk about one of them to other staff members. Also had three girls with confusingly similar names.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

When my daughter was 3 or 4, we signed her up for a gym class on Saturday mornings. Of the 8 boys, 3 were named Ethan. One was the only African-American, one was super tall and the other had blonde hair. Because it was confusing when were talking about them, Mrs. W and I referred to them in our conversations as Black Ethan, Tall Ethan and Blonde Ethan. One morning at the end of class, my daughter was on a swing when one boy ran right up to her and she accidentally just leveled the kid with a two footed kick. She is really upset and between sobs says quite loudly to the group around her, “I hurt Black Ethan. I hurt Black Ethan.”

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It was only going to be a matter of a few years, anyhow, before Ethan was going to have learn to get used to being kicked in the face and being labeled by the color of his skin.

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I'm going to guess that your wife was born in the 70s, because that is when that name was quite popular (were I born a girl, that would have been my name). As it was, there were four Brians (including me) in a class of 27 throughout elementary school - also a popular name in 1976.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

More inciteful commentary from the expert of everything.

11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Same with my Jenn, who is Jenn, not Jen. Or Jennifer.

Never Jenny. ... even though I do it to tease her sometimes.

MileHigh likes this.
  12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Correct. And I was told it would have been my name as well if I were a girl.

Draft saved Draft deleted