1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Texas athletes request changes by the university. I suspect they'll get these changes, including the song.

TowelWaver likes this.
  2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I don't know about the song and changing the names of all of those buildings -- not knowing the history of most, but the other stuff seems like you can agree to that today.

I also wonder how diverse their Hall of Fame is? Last year's class had 14 honorees and six of them were Black and one was Asian. And three of the other seven were women.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The Hall of Fame thing is questionable. 100% of the inductees of the 1960s and before will be white. Can’t change that. Can’t very well take them out simply because of their race. And you can’t make future decisions on the basis of race either.

Most of the items on the list seem reasonable to me.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

We learned at a young age -- do not call your sister Jenny.

But her sister-in-law? Jeni.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Mayor Marty Walsh of Boston today transferred money to social services out of the police department's overtime budget. Fun fact: Thanks to OT, 530 Boston police officers made more than the Mayor did last year. His salary is $199K.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Torrance Karen identified.

SoCal 'Karen' Identified by Police, Named Suspect in Multiple Racial Incidents

7. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

A volleyball group at the beach in belmar had “black al” and “short al” back in the 80s and 90s. I don’t think anybody knew anybody else’s last name. “Black al” was al Harris, a pretty high level pro at the time and a super nice guy.
    One of my best juniors club teams had “big mike” and “little mike” the names were self explanatory. Both played in college and had pretty good careers. Little mike is a pretty good coach now.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  8. Della9250

Their last three Hall of Fame classes

2019 -- 14 honorees; six of them were Black and one was Asian. And three of the other seven were women.
    2018 -- 16 honorees; four were Black and one Latino; And four of the other 11 were women
    2017 -- 15 honorees; six were Black and one Latino; And two of the other eight were women.

That seems pretty diverse without trying.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  9. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

upload_2020-6-12_19-52-43.jpeg

10. Della9250

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I don’t like removing names on buildings. You want to rename bases for generals who served the US? Whatever. That’s pretty cut and dry. When you go renaming things for random benefactors/politicians/etc, who gets to set the criteria and be the arbiter of who is ok, we’ll let slide, or bad? There is no rubric for things like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted