1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Robert E. (Bel)ly

Pilot likes this.
  2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

And I learned my times tables through 12 in the third grade because for each number we learned, we got an element of an ice cream sundae. You better believe 10-year-old me was learning all the numbers so I got each and every topping offered. Now 26 years later, I still know my times tables through 12. The point is not why we learn something, only that we do. It doesn't matter why some suburban white 20 something or teen learns about Juneteenth except now their knowledge base is expanded. And if you'd rather ridicule that then you're missing the while point of what the last three weeks have been about.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This one’s tougher than most. Guy swipes cop’s stun gun. Runs. Pivots and points.
    What’s protocol/training on this? They have to address this scenario in the academy, right?
    Is it generally acceptable to shoot a bullet into someone who is pointing a stun gun at you?

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This guy sums it up:

5. tapintoamerica

So the cop can skate because he knows that stun guns can occasionally kill? Sounds to me that maybe stun guns shouldn’t be on the streets if their use is predicated on the assumption that they’re non-lethal weapons.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

So only looking at the end result, the cops might be in the clear. I heard a cop explain they have the right to use deadly force if they get the stun gun away from them because there is a logical leap to stunning a cop to get his gun and then using the gun. Cops, I believe, are trained to use such force in that instance.

Now, not ignoring the lead up to the guy getting his hands on the stun gun, I think there is a real question to be asked about what the cops did from the time they contacted the guy to him getting the stun gun. Did the cops do everything they could to avoid a violent confrontation and the guy broke or did they antagonize the guy rather than try to mediate the situation?

tapintoamerica likes this.
  8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

So complaint is that guy is drunk. After he gets stun gun even, what’s worst case for letting him go instead of shooting?

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

One of my best friends was Army intelligence for 7 years and was in the reserves for 18 more often deployed to the Pentagon. He is of the firm belief that we need a draft if only so people will be forced to meet those who aren’t like each other. Right now, almost no one who is middle class or above is doing military service.

Inky_Wretch and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Or if they are, they’re in ROTC or a service academy and going in as commissioned officers.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. tapintoamerica

Worst case is that he kills someone. Most likely worst case is that he stuns someone.
    Most likely thing here: The cop was angry that the guy had stolen something from him. And he overreacted.
    You can’t let him go altogether once you suspect he’s drunk and likely to drive, but this is still unnecessary.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Drunk and driving is bad but we don’t shoot drunk drivers.

I just saw video, they shor him in the back while he was RUNNING AWAY. No threat of drunk driving any longer.

Once again, you’re ignoring the primary problem. Black man shot by white cop when black man was NO THREAT to cop.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    Spartan Squad and tapintoamerica like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted