1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

We're asked to stay six feet away from others. And we all know six is a very special number in the world of sportsjournalists.com.

Inky_Wretch and Jerry-atric like this.
  2. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I do not know what this means, but I guarantee it is a hoot!

Elliotte Friedman likes this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Some things can only be taught through experience.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Alabama numbers as of tonight. Over a thousand new cases in a day for the first time. If you click through and look at Montgomery county, the state capital, 147 new cases and an 18.6 positive case percentage. The numbers are spiking spiking three weeks after Memorial Day, very predictably.

Alabama COVID-19 Case Tracker

Daily new cases, 1018.
    7 day new cases average 724

7 day average positive tests 13.39%

Rt 1.08

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This should terrify all college football people.
    What's the threshold of basic human decency -- I'm not talking about The Mullet of The Great Plains, who thinks the amateurs should be forced to run money through the State of Trumpklahoma -- for shutting footbawwwl down?

First type: It's one thing if five players test positive upon reporting for active duty. In some ways, that's a good thing. They were probably infected elsewhere, and being on a college campus with medical professionals at the ready and quarantine plans in place is better than still being at home. It's good these folks were identified. Return them to the fold at the appropriate time.

Second group: Those who tested negative upon arrival, later test positive but neither show nor develop symptoms after quarantine. Integrate them back into the fold at the appropriate time.

Third group: Negative upon arrival, positive after contact workouts and become sick..
    How many of these group 3 amateurs must a team experience before deciding to shut it down? Will there even be any teams in that situation?

With roughly 15,000 people in FBS football alone, a few players will get sick. A small percentage of the sick -- maybe only a handful in all -- may be hospitalized.

If there's a team with multiple players in the hospital, isn't that team morally required to stop?
    I'm not saying that will happen. I just wonder if that does happen and what the reaction would be.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Houston had, what, eight positives and shut it down?

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Didn’t I see Ohio State is making players sign C19 waivers for “voluntary” practices?

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Yep.

Ohio State requires players to sign COVID-19 waivers, a move that will likely become commonplace

I'd assume that all players would have to sign liability waivers releasing their schools from liability in the event of any injury stemming from athletics. Right? Wouldn't this be standard operating procedure in any year? The Trumpandemic waiver is out there, I'm guessing, as a CYA and PR maneuver because the standard liability waiver may not expressly reference contagious diseases. But I don't know.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

"Will likely become?"

Twitchy already has his cultist bug-chasers falling over themselves to put their John Hancocks on C19 waivers. They set the curve.

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted