1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Just a touch of paternalism there...

2. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

I figured mentioning the fact that some legislators even forget to remove the ALEC logo from the text before submitting the text would seem too conspirational, even though it's 100 percent true.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Uh oh.

Another comparison including New Zealand.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The question isn't whether some online rando or other has or hasn't heard of Juneteenth or the Tulsa Massacre.

It's whether the White House Advance Office is competent or incompetent.

Fred siegle likes this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

A much bigger problem than the amount of training that cops get, because let's face it, the work doesn't require that much training relative to a lot of other things, is that cops here are working in a society that has lost its fucking mind with regard to guns.

Cops are freaked out by their jobs because there are guns everywhere in the U.S. and by what we have turned policing into, in order to fill prisons and keep that industry humming on the crony capitalism, those cops are asked to drive around in poor, dangerous neighborhoods looking for "criminals."

The cops carry guns too, to police the "criminals" who have guns, and the guns are the primary instruments of their policing methods. It's why bystanders don't intervene, for example, when a cop is crushing someone's windpipe. Those guns giving them their "authority" will remain that way unless we are willing to undo the complete societal mess we've made of ourselves, and that isn't some simplistic "reform" or "train them better" thing.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Agreed.

As much as I like Alma's idea, you can't disarm cops in a country with 350,000,000 guns.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

see also, if true

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's not true. They were doing those phony ads whenever he had a rally before this. It's kind of funny, though. When he announced his candidacy the first time around, he did have a bunch of actors filling the lobby @ Trump Tower getting paid some token fee to stand there and pretend that they were supporters.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

this is presumably false as well

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Apparently, we are now seeing a push to pull old television episodes from circulation if they seem racist. Some members of the cast of Star Trek: The Next Generation actually want one episode from the first season of the show pulled from replays of the series. I guess that means pulling it from Netflix as well. The episode, "Code of Honor," was among the worst in the series when it ran and it certainly isn't a good look today.

Star Trek: The Next Generation Stars Criticize Racially-Insensitive Episode

I do understand the sentiment, but I would much rather see disclaimers at the beginning of such content than have us act like they didn't happen. I could be wrong about this. It just seems dishonest to pretend such content wasn't part of these shows or movies from our past.

The early episodes of MASH had an African American character whose nickname was Spearchucker. Fred Williamson portrayed the same character in the movie. One story I've read, but I'm not sure it's true, is that the character was dropped when the writers learned that the U.S. had no African American surgeons in Korea during the war. So do we ban the movie and the first few episodes of the show?

The funny thing is these were both shows that often contained messages that were against racism, sexism and many other forms of discrimination.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

ditto, this

Draft saved Draft deleted