1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The entire Tulsa metropolitan area (not just the city) is about 995,000 people. That includes at least 85,000 black people, at least 65,000 Mexicans. Every single person in the area, apparently, is clamoring to get into a Trump Rally. ... in the middle of a viral pandemic. He's more popular than the Beatles, Elvis and Justin Beiber combined.

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

oh ooh ooh
    i feel my temperature rising
    help me i'm flaming
    i must be a hundred and nine
    burning, burning, burning
    and nothing can cool me
    i just might turn into smoke
    but i feel fine

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

That would mean that Trump is almost as popular as Garth Brooks in Oklahoma.

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

The Blunder Rolls

Iron_chet, Webster, HanSenSE and 4 others like this.
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Why should the Advance Office be any more competent than any of the other dumbasses?

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

His friends certainly hail from low places... more KKK than quaint dive bar though.

garrow likes this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The Tulsa event is getting a lot of fake ticket requests. Also, Trumpists who have no intention of attending are now requesting tickets to drive up the number. The BOK will have fewer people in it for the rally than it did for the last Jimmy Buffett concert I saw there.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Competency? In Trump's White House?

heyabbott likes this.
  9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is the problem with this whole issue.

I could see how it could be problematic. But, is it, really? If a monument is intended to be a historic depiction, is there never to be a reference to slavery, or anything negative?

That was my point in posting that. I don't think it's as clear-cut or blatantly wrong-headed as some other monuments could be seen.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I agree with your sentiment, too, oop. But I don't think there should even be disclaimers. We don't need to be eliminating, re-writing or adding on to everything that is already, well...history.

What needs to happen, everywhere, and with everything today, is for everyone to be smart and thoughtful enough to realize that was in the past, and to move forward, to change, to grow, be different and be better now. What we need to do is not just want to remain continuously angry and offended, or just want to stay continuously hateful and offensive.

We -- everyone, on all sides of racial issues -- seem incapable of that, and that's why things don't change, and may never do so.

Star Trek and MASH are two of the best and brightest in TV when it comes to principles/ideals, so I guess that makes bad episodes stand out, but despite the divide, this is not an issue that is completely black-and-white, and it is difficult for any side/entity to be perfect, particularly in the eyes of the other side, all the time.

Driftwood likes this.
  12. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Where the line should be drawn in my mind is celebrations and ongoing federal/state recognition.

There are obviously things in the past from old TV and movies that are hideous. But we can't ignore what happened in the past.

Archie Bunker would never be acceptable today, but in the 70s, sad truth, he was not only acceptable but applauded. As we have learned and evolved, we would never portray him in that manner going forward.

But names of bases that glorify racists and losers of wars ... we can and should change those.

Draft saved Draft deleted