1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock out at Fox Sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Regan MacNeil, Jun 1, 2020.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There's no way to know for sure but I had a hard time believing that.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I'm just referencing what he said in the Q&A. I guess he could be lying, but that seems like a pretty dumb thing to lie about.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

In reality, he's gonna be the 2020 Jay Mariotta

Wandering aimlessly, trying to find some niche, harkening back to the ol days.

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

That's how far Jay Mariotti has fallen. People can't even remember his fucking name anymore.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Me too.

I am not privy to anything except what anyone can read, but Fox Sports hired Jamie Horowitz in 2015. I suspect he sold them on the idea that he could build something that was competitive with ESPN, which wasn't seeing subscribers drop off yet to the extent that it began to a few years later with all the cord cutting.

By all reports he threw a decent amount of coin to get Cowherd and Skip Bayless. I have no idea what Whitlock was getting paid. But FS went all in on what has proven to be a bad gambit.

Within a year and a half from then, Horowitz was fired (sexual harrasment). Fox Sports was watching subscribers drop like flies, as they have been for every one of the cable sports networks.

Skip ahead to 2020, there is no sports due to the pandemic and ad revenues have fallen off a cliff for those networks. They are still losing subscribers. There is a ton of uncertainty and they are losing money. And Whitlock's contract comes up.

What seems more likely? That they offered to re-up at the same rate (when right now ESPN, for example, got its highest-paid on-air people to take temporary 15 percent pay cuts due to the shut down) or that they just wanted to part ways (or if not, made a low offer, hoping he'd walk on his own)?

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Whitlock joins Clay Travis

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

this is my shocked face

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When a lot of these dot.com guys reference their resumes, I assume we're supposed to be impressed - but unless it's one of the BIG FOUR (Google, Apple, Facebook or Amazon) I really don't care.

9. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

I get that you've got to sell the outrage grift and there are accurate parts of that description for "mainstream media." But I hope karma gets these people that sprint to the keyboard to trash former co-workers and colleagues as part of this "narrative" apparatus who are simply hard-working journalists who write and talk about sports.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

So much for Whitlock's personal brand venture.
    This has to be a pay cut from what Fox was offering in its two-year renewal offer, right?
    Unfortunately, this is great for Travis.

11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

“We think Clay and Jason form the best team in sports media,” said Sam Savage, CEO . “Anyone longing for an honest, agenda-free take on sports or the world at large will find Outkick as a haven from the insanity.”

This is the dumbest fucking thing I've seen all year, and this is the dumbest fucking year.

12. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Whitlock and Travis can kill you, but only figuratively.

Injecting bleach could literally kill you.

Draft saved Draft deleted