1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The episode where Margaret wants to get a visiting officer in trouble, so she cries out Rape!!!

Trapper and others rush from their tents to see what the commotion is. Trapper says with glee, "I've never been to a rape before!"

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

All in the Family was Norman Lear directly calling out Archie Bunker-type people. The character wasn't celebrating his like. It was satire. The only problem was the people who should have gotten a reality check to look in the mirror loved him.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Sounds legit. I mean, those 1,000,000+ people have been looking for something to do since their last big outing back in January, 2017...

[​IMG]

4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

We can't learn from the past if we sweep it under the rug. Entertainment from the 60s, 70s, 80s, whatever, can illuminate what the past was and how far, or if, we've moved past it.

Jerry-atric and OscarMadison like this.
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Archie Bunker wasn't intended to be a hero, even as many viewers identified with him. The show was pretty intentional about consistently bringing different ideas into Archie's world. As the show did that, the same happened to the viewers who identified with him. It was subversive and effective.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Mel Brooks has said there’s no way he could make Blazing Saddles today

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The N-word appears more than 200 times in "Huckleberry Finn."

You just going to assign it to a high school sophomore without explaining why?

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Archie Bunker at least made us have uncomfortable thoughts and conversations about these words and these ideas, unlike now where we sweep it under the rug and pretend it doesn't exist. If the last three years have shown us anything its that this mentality still very much exists.

Neutral Corner and Matt1735 like this.
  10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's just one example. The sexism of that show definitely hasn't aged well. There are plenty of cringe-worthy moments when viewing it through a modern lens, including that line and the Spearchucker character.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I see tons of sexism, racism and classism in the fave shows of my youth.

Which I have been watching during the pandemic.

I ask how I missed it then but it was just the weather- not enough people gave enough of a shit about it then.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted