1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

For the record, I have yet to see proof that the DoJ understands that these are the domestic terrorists they're looking for.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Very fine people, you see.

3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Racism almost goes hand in hand with condescension:

Couple apologizes after confronting man over 'Black Lives Matter' chalk

The people are so condescending that its sickening; there's not even a shred of potential for calling it a minor, slip of the tongue. That condescending attitude is built up over 50+ years of privileged upbringing. I've seen those people throughout my life (I lived in SF for over 25 yrs and spent virtually every year of my life there, visiting my relatives and living there) the City and its nice to see these "good" people get their long overdue come-uppetence. Maybe now they'll have to live amongst the proletariats for a while.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I know this was mentioned somewhere before, but can't remember where. Virginia is changing its new insanely racist logo.

Virginia Athletics Announces Changes to New V-Sabre and Cavalier Shield Logos

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This is the classic case of the design firm trying too hard to show off its attention to detail. There's nobody on the planet who would have noticed the original mark (absent the designers' self-congratulatory comments) and said, "That's a shout-out to the racist past."

Neutral Corner and Driftwood like this.
  7. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

A question. We know there have been police killing white people. Have any of those in the last year reached the level of outright murder, such as the Floyd, Taylor or Harris killings recently?

8. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

This is from an English teacher to her students during the virus pandemic teaching and racial uprising.

"“He died outside a corner store in Minneapolis last week and became a symbol for the crusade against police brutality.” (Li, David and Daniella Silva. “George Floyd Memorial.” NBC News. June 4, 2020, 11:47 AM EDT / Updated June 4, 2020, 6:34 PM EDT.)

As I read this headline and others like it, and as I sit and live and absorb this news, I’m reminded of the story we read last fall, All American Boys. I’m reminded of this story because George Floyd’s experience, like so many others, is this story. Jason Reynolds and Brendan Kiley captured the brutal truths of our nation in a fictional text; do not for a second believe it is fiction. Do not brush aside these moments as anomalies. There are patterns at work that we must break. In All American Boys, the people who led the charge against hate and bigotry were young people just like you. I urge you to push our nation forward, beyond the evil that stems from ignorance and fear.

I just started reading David McCullough’s biography of John Adams, a pivotal figure in the American Revolution. Chapter 1 begins with a quote from Adams’s wife, Abigail: “You cannot be, I know, nor do I wish to see you, an inactive spectator...We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them.” Could these words from 1775 be any more relevant today? And what does this tell you about who we are and what we believe?

Look to literature to escape, but also to inform, empathize, connect, and guide. Be safe. Stay wise. Rise above."

OscarMadison and Fred siegle like this.
  9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I’m going to go to my default response; “it’s not that hard [to explain], we just make it hard.”

Police brutality, like athletes abusing women, doesn’t happen overnight. It’s a result of enabling from a long time. Society gives the officers deference from the start and we are seeing the consequences. We, the parents, the overseers, must do a better job of demanding better behavior.

OscarMadison and lakefront like this.
  10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Would a black couple get similar treatment by NBC News to clear their “good name?”

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Change takes time"

131 years

lawsee!

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Had to be done.

At least they had tried to update her a few times since the 80s, to make it a little less offensive. When I am in France, there is a powdered chocolate drink called Banania, where they have made very little attempt. I wonder if that is going to go, too.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted