1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I didn't mention the character artwork, which was redesigned 30 years ago. I was referencing strictly the brand named, which is changing.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

it's a joke

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Memory is foggy, but I swear she sounded like a polite british nanny in ads in the 1980s. I could be just making her sound like Mrs. Doubtfire.

4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

My slightly racist grandmother used to make us eat this instead of cream of wheat. I always felt it was because of the white kid that she wanted us to look like. 5EE8852A-6079-45D7-9ECB-B9E219418B9D.jpeg

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The name itself came from minstrel shows. It wasn't an ethnic name. It was a white person's depiction of black people in the late 18oos, for the purpose of lampooning them. In the current climate, that name had to go.

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I don't disagree, and I wasn't arguing to keep the name. I was just pointing out that no matter what anyone does these days, someone is going have something to say about it.
    I just don't want to go to the grocery store and see this.
    [​IMG]

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I mean, plenty of studio space to explore between "racist minstrel show names" and "highly sugared tree syrup product presented by The El Generico Corporation."

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Five year anniversary of the shooting at Mother Emanuel Church is Charleston SC by the White supremacist. Nine dead including a state senator who was leading a bible study.

Draft saved Draft deleted