1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Atlanta DA charges felony murder among 11 counts against the officer who killed Rayshard Brooks. Three counts less severe against the other officer, who has agreed to testify for the state.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

And this is why racism will never go away. Because no one can just let anything lie. It's like a freaking competition.

If somebody says "Black Lives Matter," or spray-paints it somewhere, someone has to say and do the same about how "White Lives Matter" or "Back the Blue," etc.

If a white person apologizes for insensitivity, or a stupid or wrong-headed remark, whatever is said going forward is never good enough, and they're called out for condescension and/or paternalism, or else, tabbed as a racist for life.

Etc.

There will never be an end to separatism unless comparisons stop, and until there is an end to "us" and "them."

HanSenSE, Batman and Driftwood like this.
  5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Until cops can be properly trained on how NOT to escalate non-violent situations (passing a fake $20, sleeping in your car at a drive-through) we're going to have these problems. I don't know what it would cost to have a massive psychological profile of every law enforcement agency in this country to figure out how to weed out the guys who think they're Chuck Norris but are actually closer to Barney Fife (and packing) but it might be less than the civil suits.

Dog8Cats and poindexter like this.
  6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Disclaimer: I'm all in on defund/reorganize/rethink police to eliminate systemic racism and police brutality.

But the guy wasn't just taking a nap. He was passed out drunk, right? Isn't that a situation where we've always wanted cops to intervene, so he doesn't wake up 2 minutes later and kill someone himself while driving home drunk?

He didn't get killed for falling asleep at the wheel. He got killed for stealing and shooting a taser at police. Did the cops escalate it or did he? I don't know.

We need to train police to better determine when their lives are really, truly at risk. This cop should have realized how likely it was he be hit and incapacitated by the taser, to what degree his life was at risk even in the worst-case scenario, given that he had a partner with him, and once the taser missed, he should have realized there was no more threat, even if that only happened a fraction of a second before he fired. That'll take a ton of work reevaluating the role police play in our society now, and I'm all for it. But we haven't done that yet, and I'm stunned these cops are being held to that standard.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This case is entirely within the political realm, not the justice realm. Thus a murder and not a manslaughter charge.

Sucks for that cop. But he was gun happy. This was a knucklehead who had fallen asleep drunk in the drive through lane, and he ended up shot in the back and dead for it.

You can't have it all ways. Cops carry tasers and use them fairly liberally, presumably because they don't threaten the life of the person they get used on. There is no extra training that those cops should have needed to realize that -- even in the heat of the moment, because if they can't make that determination in the heat of the moment, they are too dangerous to be carrying guns.

They already knew he wasn't armed. They had patted him down. On top of it, they had his car and his drivers license and address, and knew who he was already, and could have done like fat cops have been doing for ages, calling for help rather than getting outrun in a chase.

Nobody deserves to be dead for running from a cop, unless they are a danger. Cops aren't always virtuous, the people they arrest aren't always guilty, and even when they are guilty, nobody should want cops playing judge and executioner at their discretion.

But this was overcharged. Somehow we went from the kind of egregious thing that cops get away with as a matter of course to making it a death penalty level case.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The thinking is probably that you overcharge now - to keep peace in the streets - then plead him down later, when things have cooled off.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I hope. I know these situations aren't easy, but I saw that DA interviewed 3 or 4 times in the days after the killing, and he was dripping with political motivations. I just got a bad feeling from the guy. If the cop refuses to plead, or they actually try to prosecute this, proving felony murder is going to be really difficult given the circumstances -- what is the dangerous crime that the cop was committing that ended up with him murdering someone?

10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I said on here a week or so ago that all the mobs tearing down one set of statues can't act surprised when another mob goes after something important to them. Did anyone really think that will all the toppling of Lee and Columbus that Ashe was safe? I'm obviously not saying it's right; it was just inevitable.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

So? I expect the white supremacists to be angry no matter what. I am not going to fail to do what's right because some racist asshole will get his feelings hurt.

Draft saved Draft deleted