1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock out at Fox Sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Regan MacNeil, Jun 1, 2020.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I’m glad to see Fatlock is not writing with an agenda.

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

The clearance section in the marketplace of ideas

Old Time Hockey and FileNotFound like this.
  3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

In Denver, Travis runs from 4-7 in the morning on an AM station. The sister FM station runs local sports talk shows (Scott Hastings is the featured personality). But
    the AM station draws a .1 or a .2 in the local ratings running national hosts such as Travis, Patrick, et. al. My question is how do these AM stations that draw ratings that round to zero per cent stay on the air in today's advertising market place?

4. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

I feel like such stations stay afloat because, while their overall ratings are poor, demographically they attract big-spending listeners so advertisers still will pay for time.

Also, didn't ESPN basically say to stations a few years ago, "If you want to air our popular shows, you need to find a place for all of our shows"? At least in my market, this led to the creation of a barely noticed second sports-talker that airs nothing but ESPN Radio programming (and maybe some overflow live-event broadcasts when there's a conflict). In any case, the overhead for stations that air nothing but syndicated programming must be pretty minimal.

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Also I assume any local advertising they generate is gravy - does ESPN or Fox Sports even charge a carriage fee? Don't they just require stations to run their national ads spots?

6. stix

stix Well-Known Member

I started laughing out loud while I was reading this "column."

To summarize: Whitlock values, most of all, being a heterosexual Christian American. And he has never voted.

Of course, with the way things are now, he may not be far from the presidency.

7. stix

stix Well-Known Member

In related Whitlock/Travis news, Travis' stupid little daily video popped up on my Twitter feed this morning. Being a man of admittedly low standards, I took the bait and listened to it.

Among other things, Travis has been bashing Dr. Fauci for simply (I paraphrase), "bending his opinions to gather attention." I mean, that's Travis' job title, literally.

Also, I don't know about all of you, but I tend not to be obsessed with validating my own opinion about a complicated virus and a field of study in which I have not one iota of understanding. I don't know why I get so mad, but shit like this just pisses me off. Here's Clay Travis, acting like epidemiology is anything similar to predicting the outcome of the NFC Championship Game. That a complex, deadly, unprecedented virus, the likes of which hasn't been seen in 100 years, requires the same prophetic conviction it does to pick the over/under of a Final Four game.

And yet people think Clay Travis actually knows more than Dr. Fauci. No wonder the general populace is so stupid.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Fauci might know more about football than Whitlock and Travis put together.

Whitlock's misogyny will come through sooner or later. It's his secret sauce.

I Should Coco and stix like this.
  9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

He’s a lot like his boy in the White House. They’ll say anything to appeal to their klan. Claim expertise they don’t have. Deny reality.

stix likes this.
  10. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Very strange in his "column" how he had to spend a whole paragraph explaining why he likes being heterosexual so much.

But I guess, for him, that's standard.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Being a mack daddy is very much a part of Whitlock's self-mythologizing.

Kind of like how his president fancies himself young and virile ... the one who wears adult diapers, pancake makeup and shoe lifts.

DanielSimpsonDay and stix like this.
  12. stix

stix Well-Known Member

I guess it's not for me to understand, but I've never understood that infantile behavior, from anyone.

Most people stop that by the time they're out of their 20s, if not sooner. Whitlock's the type of dude who thinks he's entitled only to physically attractive women but gets befuddled when those women aren't attracted to overweight, middle-aged men.

I can't stand people who act as self-important and completely lack self-awareness like Whitlock and Travis. Always have and always will.

Draft saved Draft deleted