1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yes, they would.

Also, big tobacco bought Pence's soul a long time go.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Deluxe casket seating available on return flight.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Texas governor ordered bars closed ... at noon today. No last blast for you, Tex!

4. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, these two states share a border near “Pensacola Beach.”

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Noticing a lot more people wearing asks as the “oh, fuck” reports roll in from other states.

6. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

7. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

That movie is a hoot!

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Where do you even start with this pull quote?

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oregon is bigger than the UK and it has 202 deaths.

If it were its own country, it’d be the nation the US should have been on the coronavirus, but wasn’t.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Long ago I feared the worst in southern states. It has come, in terms of positive tests. The death rate lags so far behind the NY/NJ/CT that either the virus has mutated, our health care system is awesome and already adjusted treatment, or far far more folks had the disease in Norrheast that it almost makes you shudder.

Maybe it’s all three.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Anecdotally, I have heard stories of people in NY and Mass., including my son and his fiancee, who were quite ill with what they were told was the flu in January, but which they now believe was the virus. Could be. It originated in China, but it came to the US from Europe, too. I know the first recorded case in Mass. was a high school kid who caught it on a school trip to Italy in early February. But it should also be noted that deaths do not rise in accordance with the rise in cases. They come later. We'll have to see.

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No, no, the death rate is way behind.

NJ deaths-to-cases is 8.57%
    TX deaths-to-cases is 1.67%

TX is at 141,526 cases right now and 2,366 deaths. By the time TX is at 200,000 positive tests - and it will be by mid-July - it'd have to accumulate another 15,000 deaths to be 8.57%.

New Hampshire has a higher rate than Louisiana.

Either a virus bomb went off and we just had no clue how many people had it or the treatment is much better. I lean toward the latter.

So I know a guy, hospital admin, in my church group. We bond over football. He tells me last week this: The hardest part at the beginning was the fear of the unknown, and it was hard, really hard, on everyone, the beginning. But - he's not a doctor, he's a CEO type - these people, the doctors, are brilliant people. He's close to tears saying this, and we all kind of were, because he's explaining how, over time, they've figured out a consistent, good course of treatment - doesn't save everyone but it works - and a doctor says to him "there are way scarier things we deal with, now that we know what we're dealing with" and medicine, the practice of it, the dedication, these doctors, it's pretty amazing. Because it's not magic, and obviously it's bad, and more will die, and I'm not in the worst-hit place. (I'm also not in Oregon, which has barely been smudged.) But it's a different thing than it was 3 months ago, and a lot of it is because doctors are doctors, very-good-and-they-damn-well-know-it doctors who don't quit, and are maybe arrogant enough to save more lives than they have any business saving, and then they do.

Draft saved Draft deleted