1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

It's probably all of it. It's too soon for deaths to be showing up for this spike. But I don't think we'll start sniffing 3,000 dead a day again. I think that's partially because there is more knowledge how to treat it as well as younger people are the ones getting it and it's not as deadly among other reasons. Doesn't mean it's not serious. It probably was in the northeast earlier and it was just a perfect storm. Although that just further proves we still have to wait and see on what happens with deaths with this current spike.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

re: The death rate, it wouldn't surprise me if it stabilizes or falls in most areas, assuming that they still have ER capacity. (That's a big "if" at this point, I realize, since I'm in Houston.) Obviously and unfortunately, plenty of ERs have plenty of experience with Covid19 patients at this point, and we seem to be past the "let's try hydroholrine just because!" portion of this. That plus increased availability of tests - catching it in people before they get to the ER - helps.

cyclingwriter2 and TowelWaver like this.
  3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

One thing on deaths before we start saying we're winning there yet, is daily totals are still pretty much more than the absolute worst days of the flu. With no real end in sight. They also only finally fell below 1,000 a day on a regular basis two weeks ago. This surge just started a week ago. They will go up with this surge. While we likely won't be looking at 2,500-plus a day again (I hope), it almost certainly will go beyond 1,000 a day again and worse. It's still a bear to treat even with the advancements and 40,000 cases a day don't help keep on top of things.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The HCW I follow to a person say treatments are 10X better than they were just two months ago.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The doctors on Twitter dealing with this feel, as experts are wont to do, that it's a combination of factors. Better treatment, younger patients, and the time lag.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

No thanks to people like this asshole.
    He has apparently undergone a conversion since March, when he and the rest of the board voted to declare a state of emergency in the county. He has seen the light and pledged allegiance to his klan. Like every other self-described "conservative," he doesn't seem interested in conserving life over the age of 0.
    Josephine County Commissioners vote to issue a Declaration of Emergency

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

However, if the cases pile up to the point where hospital ICU beds are overwhelmed and they have to start triaging, all bets are off and deaths may spike.

TowelWaver likes this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I had a city councilman issue a similar quote in March. Something along the lines of “we’re declaring a disaster here, and I don’t see a disaster.”

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It’s American Airlines. They will lose your casket.

11. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

EU officially to close borders to most American travelers starting July 1.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Oregon has 67 million people?

Draft saved Draft deleted