1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I imagine he was talking about the physical dimensions of the state, not the population, and hoping nobody would notice he was completely full of shit.

Of course, the truth is that the relative lack of population density is one of the things helping stunt the spread of the virus, which helps to keep the death total low.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Apparently, the UK only consists of Scotland or Wales. Your choice.
    Who knew?

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The state line runs through the Flora-Bama. Thus the name. Probably best known for the annual Mullet Toss. The fish, not a hair flip.

cyclingwriter2 and OscarMadison like this.
  4. vicd

vicd Active Member

He could talk to my Dad. Oh wait... my Dad died of Covid-19 in February. Asshole.

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Bigger means more populous?

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Antarctica is 56 times bigger than Oregon and doesn't have a single COVID case.

Makes you think.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Don't say that in too many parts of the South. It will embolden those who think it's just another seasonal flu strain.

The death rate down there could really shock a lot of people, especially the sorts who have giving the pandemic the middle finger by refusing to wear masks and spacing/social distancing.

And the obvious spike in cases shows that this is far from over. I'm thinking that in areas that weren't hit as hard as, say, New York, too many think the worst has already occurred elsewhere.

SFIND and OscarMadison like this.
  8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Farr's Law. It infected and killed the most vulnerable first and finds subsequent victims harder and harder to kill.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

“Some people will get it and have symptoms, but by and large they’ll get through it.”

Yeah, right.

“We thought this was only a respiratory virus. Turns out, it goes after the pancreas. It goes after the heart. It goes after the liver, the brain, the kidney and other organs. We didn’t appreciate that in the beginning,” said Dr. Eric Topol, a cardiologist and director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute in La Jolla, California.

In addition to respiratory distress, patients with COVID-19 can experience blood clotting disorders that can lead to strokes, and extreme inflammation that attacks multiple organ systems. The virus can also cause neurological complications that range from headache, dizziness and loss of taste or smell to seizures and confusion.​

Scientists just beginning to understand the many health problems caused by COVID-19

SFIND likes this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I mean, it is right.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That is why I thought the news about Nick Watney and the Whoop app was a pretty big deal.

We were always told that people were getting the virus, and the people were "asymptomatic" (of a condition or a person) producing or showing no symptoms.

Well, the Whoop app showed increased respiratory rate. So he wasn't asymptomatic. I don't want an increased respiratory rate due to a virus.

Draft saved Draft deleted