1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Well considering empty land doesn't get the coronavirus...

SFIND and OscarMadison like this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Mmm-hmm. So, perhaps, Oregon should have different coronavirus perspectives and rules than other places?

The county is bigger than the state of Rhode Island and has 31 total cases. Rhode Island has 16,661.

These places are 3,100 miles from each other, or the distance of Paris, France, to Tehran, Iran.

Where one starts with the pull quote is understanding that kind of context. The US is a huge place that social media has made as small as a phone. This is not helpful for many reasons, including the idea that a person's perspective in a place barely hit by the virus has some bearing on the virus at large.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That's sort of true - but only if you view every place in isolation from every other place.

But with people traveling from one place to another, standardizing some level of C19 intervention much sooner probably would have been a good idea.

This transmission animation from the NYT is pretty good.

How the Virus Won

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    SFIND likes this.
  4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That’s a great point.

5. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Did I miss something, Alma? Is the federal government mandating things nationally? Could have sworn states were largely running things themselves.

6. Spartan Squad

Can someone translate Alma's post for me? I have no idea what that rant is saying.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Trumpists are giddy.
    Serious question: If the Coronavirus Coronation and Klan Rally takes place in a crowded arena in Jacksonvile, how do major news organizations determine assignments? Should they limit those in the building to young, single people? Would any unions push back? I have no idea.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

He's saying that places who don't have many cases should not have to use the same precautions as areas where the virus is running rampant. That way a carrier who drives in from Texas can sit in the local diner and expose half a small town in an afternoon. The thinking seems to be that no one should have to wear a mask if the virus isn't active nearby, as if infected carriers can't drive or catch a plane or give it to someone headed to a virus free zone.

Easy interstate travel made the country small long before social media did.

Mngwa and I Should Coco like this.
  9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

10. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

A few pages back someone posted a tweet with a picture of an Oregon newspaper with a pullquote from some county commissioner saying he wants a human face to go along with suffering from COVID and can't find any and wants it proved to him that's it's real.

After someone implied that's a stupid thing to say, Alma decided fulfill his duties as the board's resident deconstructionist.

Since Oregon -- which is larger than the UK -- doesn't have but a couple hundred confirmed deaths, the county commissioner didn't say something stupid, because COVID isn't really real there. No need to look to other states (like, I don't know, Washington) to see human faces that have suffered.

11. Spartan Squad

I see ... And this has to do with comparing a country and a state with a population difference of 20 times how exactly?

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Viruses don't care about politics, comfort, or distance. Empty land does not catch a virus, people do, and people don't stand in fields fourteen miles apart (or whatever the population density is). They gather at the diner, at church, at work or birthday parties and socialize. One infected who is actively shedding virus can light a rural county on fire.

If there is not a well known and beloved local face in the obits that does not mean that there can't be some in six weeks.

Draft saved Draft deleted