1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

2. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Remdesivir will cost the typical American $3,120. It will cost typical patients in other countries $2,340.

Remdesivir, developed 10 years ago and largely funded by taxpayers, has drawn international attention for Gilead Sciences. In April, the antiviral drug was shown in National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases clinical trials to shorten the recovery time for coronavirus patients but had marginal impact on death rates.

Gilead holds an agreement with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, which will work with states to manage allocating the treatment to hospitals through the end of September until “supplies are less constrained,” O’Day said. HHS announced in a statement Monday that 500,000 treatment courses of the drug will be allocated directly to hospitals every two weeks, rather than making a pit stop at state health departments to deliver the treatments to hospitals.

“President Trump has struck an amazing deal to ensure Americans have access to the first authorized therapeutic for COVID-19,” HHS Secretary Alex Azar said in the statement.​

Covid-19 treatment remdesivir priced at $3,120 for the typical patient — The Washington Post

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

fuck

that's a killer

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Houston, we have a problem.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

A friend of mine who lives in Rhode Island complains about the governor being draconian. Calls her the "wicked witch."

He promotes events in nightclubs in Providence. Says he's lost $12,000. Cry me a river.

Because 99.4 or whatever percent of people with it survive he says they should just open up and let everyone live their lives.

I tell him about the permanent organ damage people who survive can get and he says "You take a chance just getting out of bed."

People are so selfish.

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

And, really, that's what it comes down to, isn't it?

I know that's easy for me to say. My financial situation hasn't really changed since March 13. In fact, one can argue I'm spending less, by not going to as many restaurants and bars, and by not having concerts to attend.

But at some point, you have to leave the selfishness aside and make some sacrifices for the common good and reduce not only your own risk of getting sick, but everybody else's risk of getting sick. And if we "keep the economy going" at the price of people's health, well, that's not really keeping the economy going. Because the lost productivity from all these sick people adds up too.

Everything we're seeing here is the culmination of short-term, quarter-by-quarter, "I GOT MINE" thinking that capitalism encourages and rewards.

10. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

People have put their whole lives into these businesses. I have much sympathy for them right now.

It is a tough situation.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

That's a feature, not a bug, since we know most of that money went to Trumpists.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It is tough but is it worth risking people 's lives and long-term health?.

Draft saved Draft deleted