1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Side note: I did not know until this morning that Georgia has specific emergency vehicle plates. They say "Hearse/Ambulance."

There's a substantial difference between the two, at least if you're hoping to use one well before the other.

OscarMadison and sgreenwell like this.
  2. MovingOnOut

MovingOnOut New Member

Por que no los dos?

3. Noholesinone

Noholesinone Well-Known Member

IMHO, this is the biggest problem -- what to do with the you-can't-tell-me-what-to-do crowd.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

glen rice's 56-point game against orlando is on hardwood classics

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Arkansas Gov. Asa! Hutchinson was tossing around football at today's covid briefing and saying if you want football in the fall, you better wear a mask now. But he wouldn't issue a mask mandate for the state or encourage local municipalities from issuing them. He's expecting personal responsibility to win the day.

I laughed so loudly my daughter came down the hall to see what was so funny.

OscarMadison, SFIND and matt_garth like this.
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Governor Newsom shutting down things again in California.

Karen Central is going to be pissed

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Shit. Not that I think this is a bad move given the rise in cases, but my mom's 60th is this weekend and we were hoping to go to a restaurant in Sacramento. Well, we'll have to do something else.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've seen a few opinion pieces like that, and they all include way too much maybe for my taste. They also don't have nearly enough explanation of how schools are going to manage social distancing and getting children to wear their masks when they are coming close to one another or to adult staff. There is a lot of guesswork about the ability of children to spread the virus, and if you read the end, the author admits there is a real risk that opening schools will cause a significant spread of the virus.

Also, these pieces never seem to have input from actual educators. I spoke with a local building principal I know this week. He told me they measured the classrooms in his building and discovered that if they went with six feet of space between students, they can fit about 10 in a classroom. I don't know of many schools that can keep class sizes to 15, much less 10. This new idea that three feet is enough seems very questionable to me as well. I've seen that in exactly one report, and one started with the idea that schools needed to re-open and they only thought that three fight might be okay.

What they really should be doing is calling for Republicans to stop fucking around and get behind a stimulus package that includes the increased funding for public education that would be necessary for schools to open. Every plan I've heard of to get all of our students back in school in the fall is going to be more expensive than normal. If getting the schools re-opened is such a priority, it is time for the federal and state governments to fund it like a priority.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

My county put out something similar. I still wonder what the risk is to adults but happy to see kids will be more fine than not. But we still need to worry about what they bring home and older teachers, but yeah encouraging.

• COVID-19 disease prevalence among children is lower than in adults, and children who contract COVID-19 are more likely than adults to be asymptomatic or to have very mild symptoms
    • Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C), a severe condition associated with COVID-19, remains rare.
    • Furthermore, in several studies, children were less likely to be the first case within a household, suggesting that child-to-adult transmission may be less common than adult-to-child transmission.
    • In other countries, where schools remained open or have recently reopened, cases in schoolchildren have been associated with few secondary cases in the school, suggesting that child-to-child transmission may also not be as significant as with influenza.
    • Analysis of data broken down further by age show that these trends are seen more in younger children compared to teenagers, whose disease patterns more closely parallel those of adults.

maumann likes this.
  12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

this whole fucking thing is a failure of leadership at every level. So frustrating.

Draft saved Draft deleted