1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

certainly one manifestation of racism in this country is how lightly Spike Lee has been taken by most of the film making establishment all these years

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    OscarMadison likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My senior year of college, we watched that movie about 50 times, no exaggeration. A VHS tape that we wore out. We'd walk around quoting lines from it at each other over and over again, like it was a pure comedy to us, and not a serious social commentary of any sort. It's a bit embarrasing to think about it.

My opinion that the dialogue and the script is way too cartoonish and sledgehammerish (the man does not know subtlety) hasn't changed. My opinion that it's a hell of a film and that the cinematography is off the charts good, was reinforced. Regardless, Ms. Ragu had never seen Do the Right Thing, and we watched it last weekend. When Danny Aiello's son (who played the cop) choked and killed Radio Raheem. ... given everything going on right now, it hit me like a ton of bricks. She was crying at the end.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

he's produced an extraordinary body of work

Alma, OscarMadison and Mngwa like this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I’m a big Spike Lee fan. I think his work was taken very seriously (as in, Spike Lee has a new movie!) through 25th Hour, which was an acclaimed movie then and appreciated even more now.

He only made three movies the rest of the decade, of which Inside Man is outstanding and his war movie is not.

(I haven’t seen his second war movie just released to Netflix.)

On the encouraging front there’s a generation of black filmmmakers right now - Barry Jenkins, Steve McQueen, Jordan Peele, Ava DuVernay - who are respected and given projects. I’m not a big fan of most of Tyler Perry’s work, but he’s a media giant, and a good man.

The 2000s, in general, were a much better decade for TV than they were for film.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I have to say, I never expected the Washington NFL team mascot to be one of the changes instituted by all this going on right now.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Got to think the Atlanta Braves and Cleveland Indians can't escape, either

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Wonder what the conversations are at Winnebago motorhomes headquarters lately...

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Spike Lee jumped the shark with Summer of Sam.

Another thing that became chic in the late '90s and 2000s- the ensemble film

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Lee's documentaries alone would constitute a great body of work.

And I agree, he opened a thousand doors for younger black artists to walk through.

Like you I don't find much in the movies of Tyler Perry, but as an entrepreneur and studio head and creator of opportunity I can't praise him enough. Wish he was more of a union guy, but you can't have everything.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't know. He made 'Bamboozled' the following year, which I regard very highly.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted