1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Thank you, I will check it out today while working.

I like Spike Lee as well but he also seemed to be more about celebrity than his Black filmmaking peers.

Look at John Singleton, died in near obscurity. Known for one transcendent film and not a catalog.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Redskins issue is compounded by the DC-federal issue if they want to move back to DC.
    The Braves have their new stadium in relatively white suburbia. Just where they want it. Their fans will revolt if the team bows to political correctness of those damned libruhls. I’m guessing there will be no change in that team name.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Washington Anacostans

Keep the logo and the colors.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Cleveland has largely removed all the Native American imagery around its franchise. Only the nickname remains, but maybe now the push will be renewed to change it.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Washington Federals. Perfectly generic for a shit franchise.

2muchcoffeeman and OscarMadison like this.
  6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'll believe it when I see it. They didn't announce they are changing the name. They announced a "thorough review," which could easily be Snyder trying to buy time and hope things blow over. If they haven't changed it by September, I can imagine the team response being that a thorough review takes time. I just don't trust Snyder to get it right.

Source: Change likely as Redskins review name

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I’d add Ryan Coogler to that list.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Maybe we can finally get Florida State fans to at least stop with the Tomahawk chop. Yeah yeah, approved by Florida Seminole tribe. Fine. It’s still corny as hell to see 80,000 crackers in the stands doing that chant.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And Kansas City Chiefs fans.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Did they ask the Seminoles in Oklahoma, the ancestors of whom got marched by Andrew Jackson at a loss of thousands of lives?

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Washington .. Monuments.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Bamboozled and 25th Hour are both excellent. Bamboozled at the time was controversial because it followed a loud disagreement Lee had with Tarantino's liberal use of a word in Jackie Brown. Lee then based a character in Bamboozled on QT. He lost friends - including, for a time, Samuel L. Jackson - over it.

I actually appreciate that Lee has a strong enough POV about life to call things as he sees them.

I think he's probably closest to Scorsese in the sense that both have immense film knowledge, flashy technique and can get a little lost in their movies.

Azrael likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted