1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

With baseball gearing up with a plan to play in home stadiums -- thus, lots of flights -- I keep thinking about Dallas FC. Maybe I got this wrong, but it seems that last Saturday, just before it flew to the MLS bubble in Orlando, the entire traveling party tested negative. And 24 hours later, there were 10 positives. That's a red flag to me.

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Family. Relationships. Society. Safety. Food. Water. Medicine. Housing. Transportion. Technology. Energy. Communication.

That's for starters. I don't even know how many more items are on my list before I even consider "watching or playing sports" as a need.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    OscarMadison and Flip Wilson like this.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

And there's protocols in the NBA bubble. Why can't the NBA come back, again?

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

who's stopping them?

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Although it's been said, many times, many ways, the same folks craving freedom and riblets will have the loudest voices of protest if the NFL or college football seasons are delayed or axed.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

m

So you’re OK with them returning?

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Without fans? In the Disney Bubble?

of course

if they can figure out a way to do it while keeping the staff and the officials and the players "safe."

and there has to be some sort of agreement on the part of the league and the players and the state and local health authorities what constitutes "safe."

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I am OK with TRYING to return. I just hope those involved can tell if/when the virus has so diluted the product they're trying to produce that they're damaging their own brands to little purpose.

maumann likes this.
  9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Do you need them to return for your livelihood or because it helps your fee-fees?

There was a piece in The Atlantic last week about how inured people are becoming to mounting deaths.

Almost enough to demand there be football, I would say.

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That's the tricky part.

What's the trigger number to shut down? 10 cases? 10% of staff infected but asymptomatic? 2 hospitalizations? 20?

That calculus is the real puzzle.

tapintoamerica and maumann like this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's not just who gets sick, it's how that affects the mindset of players who aren't. It might not take that much to convince a majority of players on an NBA, NHL or MLB team that it's unsafe for them to continue. So they stop. How does a league proceed if it's losing TEAMS on a regular basis?

maumann likes this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Players opting out short circuits the whole enterprise.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted