1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Blocking @Songbird ? That’s weak as hell.

Songbird and OscarMadison like this.
  2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Be. Careful?

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I am angry as hell about what's happening. I don't know where to put it all.

4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Most of us are there. I am sorry. If you're still outraged, you haven't lost your ability to empathize. True north still registers on your moral compass. I could say more, but think this is a good point to stop, at least for tonight. Take care.

qtlaw and 3_Octave_Fart like this.
  5. 3_Octave_Fart

I lose patience with the response. It would be one thing if there were brute efficiency behind this regime's depredations. The clumsiness of it is enraging.

Eh. I read, smoke weed and do a hell of a lot of gardening. I have the best tan of my life.

Nobody seems to want to talk about it but we are wasting our lives on this garbage.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That’s not the reference, though; they’re going for “Civil War II: Electric Boogaloo,” and they use the last syllable of that to get to “The Luau."

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Borrowing from Jesse Jackson, Keep Hope Alive! In 2016 I was despondent about the election because honestly I foresaw this clusterf**k but I walked to my local Chinatown and saw 70yr old immigrants still working, trying to scrape by and I remembered that sometimes you’ve got to persevere no matter what.

I’m just as sick of this as you (I think); I hate the clowns who supported him; but hey can only do what I can control. Try to keep that in mind.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The point, though, is also not to lose the support of people who, you know, have never actually wrongly arrested another, never physically beaten or consciously or overtly mistreated anybody else, and have never called anybody "nigger," or believed blacks are not entitled to any basic human rights and decencies that anyone else gets.

No matter what color they are. And that's what's happening, and is what's going to happen if this keeps going on.

At this point, these statue de-facings and destructions, and and militia-style protests -- over statues and carvings, as if we actually are in the middle of a civil war -- are just people behaving badly and dividing people even more. Virtually nothing else will come of it.

10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

In short, not all white people. Oh, and I am trusting you don't mean it, but it scans like you want all of those people who would rather not get murdered by the police to quit making things uncomfortable for you. Please tell me I'm wrong about this.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  11. 3_Octave_Fart

QTLaw-

I knew on 11/9/16 this would be a shitshow but the sheer malevolence I did not see coming.

We have crimes being committed on the daily in a race war wrapped inside a pandemic bundled inside a soft coup.

And I don't see any of it ending. Compare the deadly April and May (relatively tranquil) to the last five weeks.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Well, ya know, they tried asking nicely and white people said, "QUIT OVERREACTING AND MAKING EVERYTHING ABOUT RACE! YOU PEOPLE NEED TO GET OVER SLAVERY! THERE'S NO MORE RACISM! WE ELECTED A BLACK PRESIDENT!"

So then, as more people continued to get killed by cops, Kaepernick started protesting by taking a knee during the National Anthem -- probably the least antagonistic form of protesting you can do. No chants, no blocking of traffic. Not even a fucking sign for crissakes -- and white people said, "GODDAMIT! YOU'RE DISRESPECTING THE MILITARY AND THE FLAG! MY UNCLE FRED LOST A TOE IN 'NAM AND I WON'T STAND FOR THIS! WE KNEEL FOR THE CROSS AND WE STAND FOR THE FLAG RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!"

So now we're here. Maybe if people had cared more on first and second base things would be rounding third and heading home.

Draft saved Draft deleted