1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Am at a major NNJ hosp, asked how things were. ER nurse said Covid patients were stacked up all over the place in April-May. "That's all I saw for weeks, Covid, Covid, Covid," she said. "No strokes, heart attacks, accident victims. It all got pretty monotonous."

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. Colorado yesterday had a jump of 407 cases, it's biggest jump since May 30. It represented a 1.2 percent increase in new cases, the biggest jump since late May. Seven-day average of new tests coming back positive is at 5.3 percent.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Who could have predicted such a thing?

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My daughter's school district sent out a FAQ document regarding the re-opening of schools today. New York will be announcing statewide guidelines July 13, though Gov. Cuomo said today that they won't be making a final decision on whether schools re-open and how they would re-open until the first week of August. The district FAQ is based on what we know so far, including CDC guidelines. They listed three potential models for the fall, but according to the document, they do not believe there will be a return to a traditional model with all students in school five days per week. The most likely option is some form of hybrid, with students in the building two or three days per week.

I'm not surprised and I don't see how they could re-open fully and do it safely, but I still can't help being disappointed.

6. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

The only metric still looking OK is deaths, I guess. Although I find it interesting how many people claim death numbers prove things are OK when we've at best plateaued at something like 600 a day (still worse than the worst flu day and it's been ongoing forever). Will we totally panic if deaths start catching up with these cases some? Or keep ignoring it? We're fighting for school openings and sports and everything else and nothing looks good at all. I really thought we'd at least have a lull and a half way decent summer and this is where we are. Fall is going to suck without big changes.

maumann and MileHigh like this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Good news for Clay Travis, celebrated epidemiologist and certified do-you-wipe-standing-up question asker.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I hope I'm wrong in thinking the numbers are deaths are going to rise, but spikes in deaths do lag behind spikes in new cases.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  10. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Yeah, it would be naive to think deaths aren't going to rise. They almost certainly will and we're definitely still within the lag. Just right now it's the only number that half looks like it is doing better at least, but that's in part because of how high the peak was there too. Wish so many wouldn't be using 600 deaths a day as their arguing point of goodness, but I guess that's where we are. I would guess we'll go past 1,000 a day again in a few weeks if not sooner. I don't think (or at least hope so) that it won't go past 2,000 again. But with all the other numbers not looking good, deaths are going to follow unfortunately.

11. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

That is a hoot!

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That's a very good point.

Draft saved Draft deleted