1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

They knew what they were getting into. For themselves. They also knew the potential impact of their choice on others. And they did it anyway. Just to mock libruhls. They do not deserve to be spared.

2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Great news! "Most experts" now say there'll be no second wave!

According to Politico:
    Grim projection: 200,000 dead by Election Day

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I posted this on an antivaxer's thread that claimed that COVID-19 is overhyped.

He said there were no facts in it, that the first line was just an assumption and that it was just an opinion.

How is it just an opinion and how is what's in the first line an assumption?

Seems pretty factual to me.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

We're back to this bullshit. It's fixing to get bad.

5. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Why would you stand?

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Too fat.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

First is the spike in cases, then comes the spike in hospitalizations then deaths. This disease does have a lag in people dying, although treatments are getting better and younger people are less likely to die from this.

I think it was naive of all of us to think summer was going to take this down a notch given it spreads easily indoors and prolonged close contact. Too many people spiked the football because cases went down for 5 minutes and decided this was over. But a billionaire's pocket book is more important that keeping humans alive and here we are.

8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

This right here is where I don't understand why this isn't a bigger deal to people. All the responses for football and everything else I see is 99 percent of people will be OK (and in that regard, they are talking about deaths so ...). But that's still a lot of people who die. Plus we don't have total knowledge on how bad this is for people long term. And it seems very bad for some. That also will add up to a lot of people.

Yet the argument is it isn't that big of a deal because the vast majority will be OK. I don't want to risk it if I'm not one of those people who are just fine. And honestly, millions won't be just fine whether they live or die.

I've seen the polio argument before. I would think measles is probably a decent one too. Most wouldn't turn down a vaccine for either one of those or risk having those illnesses. Why this is still so caviler with so many is mind boggling. But let's play football!

SFIND and tapintoamerica like this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The thing about polio and measles was that 1. There was no vaccine! For decades! And people were super scared of the diseases!!! Summer was polio time and people freaked, every year. The coronavirus reaction is the culmination of decades of hatred for science and facts spread by evil people seeking money and power and angry stupid people eager to denounce the knowledge they can't absorb. The vaccine research seems promising, but if there isn't one next year (science is hard!) our society may well just collapse.

britwrit, HanSenSE and Roscablo like this.
  10. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

That's just it, people were effing scared to no end of those diseases. Talk to people who lived through it and they will describe just what you did with polio. Ask them about swimming pools.

But most of us have never had to deal with anything like that or don't remember it. We've had vaccines and safety. That's a big part of it too. So even though this is very bad, it's just this weird inconvenience to everyone.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I got my polio shot when I was like five or six, so I only have hearsay of how polio freaked people out. But little me was very aware of how my parents thought getting the Salk vaccine was a big freaking deal and how happy they were as I left the pediatrician's.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted