1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tucker Carlson...how in the heck did this guy happen?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jul 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I had a bunch of your recent posts in mind. From this thread, that caste system piece in the NY Times magazine that you brought up a few pages back, with your insistance that the writer had an agenda, is an obvious one. FWIW, there may be biases in that article, but you didn't address any of them. Your insistence that her example of Nazi Germany, which factually fit the construct she set up, proved something about her "agenda" was you doing exactly what I just pointed out. And when pushed, you resorted to 2 or 3 logical fallacies to try to shut down the pushback you got.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I said that story was an example of a leftist approach. That’s it. That’s all.

Quoting a Marxist psychologist (who died 40 years ago) on group narcissism to link Nazi Germany with the US is, to me, reflective of something.

But maybe not.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yes, it's reflective of the fact that his life's work as a psychoanalyst (not a "Marxist" psychoanalyst) focused on the specific group dynamic she wrote about.

You labeling him as a Marxist -- same way you labeled her story "leftist" -- has zero to do with her "agenda" that you kept insisting on, or his specific work that she referenced in the article, which had nothing to do with Marxism.

It's silly. If I point out that Karl Marx himself believed in the labor theory of value to explain relative differences in market prices, it doesn't mean someone can just dismiss the theory without any basis. ... because Marx was a Marxist. That is a logical fallacy.

2muchcoffeeman and Alma like this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He's not really wrong on this point. The first few examples are pretty LOL.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Have you read a NY Times or AP story recently? Regular news stories full of opinion. Such as "peaceful protests," "most of the peaceful protesters were wearing masks," and the ridiculous descriptions of the VIOLENT tearing down of statues.

6. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

Statues are not people, so what difference does it make if tearing them down is VIOLENT?

Do you have some sort of proof that most protesters haven't been wearing masks? The people writing those stories are, you know, there and you're not. The anecdotal evidence combined with the lack of outbreaks traceable to protests indicates they are.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  7. Fredrick

a.) Have you seen the fires, the violence as the statues come down? It's mob mentality. Yes mob mentality bothers me. How come I can't go throw a brick through a window or destroy some cars today? Cause it's illegal and anarchy? Animal Farm.
    b.) You don't say "most people were wearing masks" at protests then say "most people were not wearing masks" at Trump rallies. It's not journalism. Like I trust the political media nowadays. LOL. And I don't trust the anti Trump reporters, no way.
    Also, only coverage of certain deaths. What about the Black man who drove the car killing the protestor on the highway in Seattle? They never mention his race. It's all political. Trump bad. We get it. Carlson provides much needed balance right now. Ditto Hanity.

8. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

Mob mentality bothers you, yet you watch Fox News religiously.

"How come I can't go throw a brick through a window or destroy some cars today? Cause it's illegal and anarchy? Animal Farm." Is this supposed to mean something?

People throwing bricks through windows and destroying cars are subject to arrest and have been arrested in many cases. About 25 million people have protested. You think the majority of them committed acts of violence?

"Most people were wearing masks" at protests and "most people were not wearing masks" at Trump rallies are statements of fact. Those facts are relevant given that we're in a pandemic and wearing masks is a vital part of fighting it. So ... it is journalism. Trump's Tulsa rally is likely a source of outbreak there.

Carlson, Hannity and Ingraham aren't "the political media?" You refuse to trust "anti-Trump" reporters. The bias is yours, dude.

lakefront and matt_garth like this.
  9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

You must really get pissed off when the weatherman says it’s warm outside. Fucking summer bias.

Protestors can be peaceful, angry, loud, quiet, passive, aggressive, large, small...

News channel reporter Fredrick is on the scene in Monument Park. Fredrick, what have you seen.

There were protests.

Fredrick, it’s that kind of reporting we have learned to love here at news channel.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Fredrick really hates guys in suits.

[​IMG]

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. Fredrick

Are you serious? Are you actually of the opinion the protests have not caused the spread of Covid and the Trump rallies have caused the spread of Covid? That's ridiculous. I just want NO BIAS. I want facts. And I don't want some of the news covered and some not covered (the police officer who died in St. Louis and the two teens killed in Seattle Chaz got no coverage). Look I want facts and that's pure BS about the majority of people protesting wore masks and the majority of Trump supporters did not wear masks. It's almost like media outlets are being paid by the DNC sometimes.

I'm just trying to say Tucker Carlson's view is important to hear when this b.s. is being spewed about. It's only fair.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

"I just want someone to tell me I'm right to think Black people are terrible!"

2muchcoffeeman and Regan MacNeil like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.