1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

One of the things I hoped this pandemic would do is help businesses realize people shouldn't go to work sick (make better sick time policies, don't punish people for being out, etc.) and for employees to not push it to the limits when they are sick. If this is true to it's context, it's obvious we are a long way from that. Even now with all we are going through and know. It's likely a pipe dream anyway, but sheesh, have to ask permission to get tested at a place that's already had a positive case is crazy.

maumann likes this.
  2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Well, it has hit home now. Buddy of mine has it. He’s 44 and healthy, so hopefully it won’t be too bad, but ... fuck.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Found out last night my sister-in-law's 30-year-old daughter has it.

OscarMadison, maumann and lakefront like this.
  4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

That unequivocally sucks. My best to your buddy.

maumann likes this.
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

My dad is having surgery on Monday. He had to go do a COVID test today. Needless to say, he wasn't a fan of the test.

maumann likes this.
  6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

In july...

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The test sucks. I've been tested and I've got at least one more test ahead of me. I have a minor procedure coming up later this month and they are making me get a test two days prior. (I guess this is one of the versions with a really quick turnaround.) I'm not thrilled, but I get it.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

welcome to the doom loop

maumann likes this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

Found this article today published by researchers at the University of Washington, looking at reopening of schools in various countries and outcomes (although most are still an open question). For those that have enough information to draw preliminary conclusions, it appears that the more the country has done in limiting the spread and the more they are currently doing in terms of 'harm reduction strategies' (e.g. partial reopening, limiting number of kids per class, emphasis on distancing and handwashing), the better the limitations of outbreaks have been, vs. elsewhere where outbreaks have occurred (e.g. Sweden where no closing was even undertaken). https://globalhealth.washington.edu/sites/default/files/COVID-19 Schools Summary (2).pdf

Attached Files:

lakefront likes this.
  11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

That’s the number one thing we’ve been told. If you’re sick, don’t go to work

maumann likes this.
  12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Sadly, over 950 pages this has evolved from "sounds pretty bad in China" to "we all know someone who has it."

Stay safe, everybody.

Draft saved Draft deleted