1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I go along with the sentiment, of course, and I've followed the prescribed precautions. But I actually think the problem is still the opposite: Despite all the recorded cases and deaths, I still don't know anybody who has been diagnosed with it. And I doubt I'm the only one who can say that.

maumann likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Joel Embiid was not wrong to put on that hazmat suit before arriving at Disney World, although I sure wonder where a 7-footer finds a hazmat suit.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Alabama: 7 day new cases - 1140. 7 day % positive - 14.69

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I am once removed from knowing someone, but I'm preparing to have that changed when school resumes if current plans hold.

maumann likes this.
  5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

So consider yourself lucky?

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

And you're absolutely right. Too many people still think of this as an abstraction, particularly where we live. We can see the numbers going crazy, and yet people aren't doing the things necessary to get control of this because they can't (or won't) comprehend the consequences. Our little tourist trap town is a hot spot just waiting to happen, and we're trying desperately to avoid having to leave the cabin on weekends. But now that it's summer, any trip to the grocery could be that one bad decision that we've tried so hard not to make so far.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

That's good, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is less than you think, but still an issue. I may be in the vast minority but I am friends with two, one who was hospitalized. Then if you go with friends of family members it goes up to six. Finally, I am friends with people who know two others who have died, both under 45. One was the husband of a teacher at my oldest's high school.

I will say, I don't know of anyone who has had it since April. So I guess that is good. All were in Colorado, too, which probably shows things are decent here. But it could be something similar to ignoring it now and again because even if you knew people it could have been months ago so now things are OK now.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

I do. So what?

Whether someone has been personally touched by the disease, or their family or circle of friends has - or no one they know has - the ICUs in Florida and Texas are still full of people who have, and there are many more yet to come and no ICU beds to put them in.

I didn't know anyone who was killed on 9/11. Did you? Am I supposed to pretend that it didn't happen?

If we wait until everyone in the country knows someone who was hospitalized or died of Covid before we do what is needed to break the pandemic untold numbers of people's lives will be damaged.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  10. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I looked at his Facebook page yesterday just like tons of people obviously did. I don't know what I was expecting, but it made me sad. It also made me sad how many assholes felt the need to comment on his posts. He may not have had the smartest of posts but he also didn't ask to die and his family surely didn't want anything bad for him. It's amazing how heartless people are. I felt a lot the same that this poster did.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

As of yesterday, 21 states have statewide mask requirements in public; of them, 18 have Democratic governors.
    In all, 18 of the 24 Democratic governors (75%) have imposed these measures.
    Of the 26 Trumpist governors, three (11.5%) have done so. Two of those three are Maryland and Massachusetts, which are reliably blue states. The other -- and this is wacky -- is West Virginia, where the governor is insane and the disease has had a surprisingly low impact.
    It's too soon to tell what the impact of these directives have been or what they will be.

12. Neutral Corner

Draft saved Draft deleted