1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

FWIW . . .

Review of School Closure as a Pandemic Mitigation Strategy

NYC and Chicago kept schools open, BTW.

https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/full/10.1377/hlthaff.28.6.w1066

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Oh, then by all means, if the kids are going to get sick anyway, let's just send them back! What could possibly go wrong?

SFIND likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

not sure how valid any data on transmission is going to be from the age before air conditioning and recirculated central heating and cooling.

4. Spartan Squad

But, but this study of a completely different disease from more than 100 years ago says we should send our kids back. Whatever are we to do?

SFIND likes this.
  5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Amongst the talking points our school district has issued for the startup of school next month, it says the news of any outbreak we'll go through the local DOH. By letter. So that means if there's an outbreak at the school, or worse in my kids class, it will take a week to find out? Maybe more? Maybe not at all? To me this is the most egregious disregard of their moral obligation to families. I mean if a student at the school dies, we get an all call about it. Doesn't it follow that if there's an outbreak on Monday by Tuesday we should have an all-call? they want us to make sure we adress the mental health of our students, but they're just going to let a contagion float around the school without telling us?

Spartan Squad likes this.
  6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Apparently, people in Jersey City and Union City, NJ, read this board!?!?

Just finished my daily long walk, did about two miles in each of the localities (I live right on the line, on a street with a sign that says Division Street). Most folks were masked up. Maybe it is just the weekend where the idiots are out in force?

Haven't been in NYC since March 6 but I have dinner plans this weekend with a dear friend I haven't seen since we went to a concert right before Christmas. One of our favorite restaurants has reopened with outdoor-only seating so I'm going to risk the ride over and hope it doesn't kill me. The buses have done a good job, I'm thinking I'll bypass the trains and walk from Port Authority to the restaurant.

Anyone in NYC done the subways recently? Are they OK or a clusterfuck?

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Do what you want. But it's probably not a good idea to post comparisons from 1918 . . . and then a few weeks later criticize someone else for doing the same. Like Trump, there's always a tweet post.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Well played...

9. Spartan Squad

Oh well now I'm really convinced I should go back to the classroom. Because a study of how social distancing works from 100 years ago means I should totally follow a study showing kids still get sick whether they are in school or not from 100 years ago.

Never mind that the whole fucking point of this is to limit how many kids get sick, limit how many teachers get sick and inherently implies that kids still need to social distance. Oh and the study doesn't say kids don't get sick at school, they get sick at school just as much as they get sick when they don't socially distance.

SFIND likes this.
  10. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Know what one of the things St. Louis closed in 1918 was? Schools.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

sorry, but you're making a specific comparison to students in school buildings then and now.

the difference in the example between St. Louis and Philadelphia was 'hold a parade' / 'don't hold a parade.'

so the gotcha you're trying to build would more accurately be presented as 'hold school' / 'don't hold school.'

Spartan Squad and SFIND like this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted