1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

This is from last week but a friend of mine retweeted it and it just stuck with me for some reason. I'm tired of the cherry picking of numbers to try and prove a point and act like crap isn't bad. And this guy has 51,000 followers. So what if New Jersey had more deaths reported that day than Florida and Arizona and Texas combined? What does that mean? Diddly. There are tons of variations on reporting, as we've all said tons here this whole time. It's also still a lot of dead people. It's not a good stat.

Oh and just for a follow up, today, Arizona and Florida reported a combined 224 and New Jersey 19 and Texas hasn't chimed in yet. But the deaths aren't rising so nothing to see here, right?

SFIND likes this.
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Translation, you're making up a political conspiracy and completely misrepresenting the very real concerns regarding reopening schools now that the spread of the virus is out of control in much of the country.

2muchcoffeeman and SFIND like this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Scientists change their opinions and plans as statistics and data change? Who knew? You mean that they don't decide on the result they want and then release a plan (or no plan) to make that happen, a plan which does not change regardless of the facts and statistics changing? What a bunch of maroons!

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

To be fair, for anyone leading the country, COVID would've been a huge challenge. European countries are far smaller and even with their urban centers, much easier to lock down. Boris Johnson can snap his fingers and order everyone in shops to wear masks. (In England, granted.) Trump can't.

The US has done great things in the past. Beat the Depression. Won World War 2. Put someone on the moon. None of which were done without missteps.

Mr. Sluggo and maumann like this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

There's a furious fixation on the missteps. People are...driven...to see things go badly. I think that's the Trump effect. It's part of why I want him to lose.

7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

It's a furious fixation on inaction, not missteps.

The only solution Trump has offered since early April is, "can't we just ignore this thing and pretend it went away"?

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

@TrooperBari, the time for civility has passed. Democrats need to go iron tongs on Trump and Republicans who enabled and abetted this shit. Fuck civility. Republicans have never been civil, so tough shit if it's turned back on them. McConnell's head on a pike.

OscarMadison and Mngwa like this.
  9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

By "driven," do you mean that people want to see things go badly? Or that they are inclined to believe things will go badly? Something else?

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Is he going to sacrifice that goat with an iPhone?

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Ladies and gentlemen, SEC Values in one tweet:

Coach O and Dabo are engaged in a tug of war to see who can be the most tone-deaf. Gundy was also in the tournament but had to drop out.

SFIND likes this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They've been pushed to it by the political climate. At this point it's kind of an embodied reality.

I mean, our medical system is kicking quite a bit of ass right now. Doing amazing things. Though I certainly understood the nature of the story, the biggest, most-promoted doctor story I've read is of one who died by suicide.

If I'm a parent right now, I'm pointing to those doctors as heroes, not victims. If I'm a kid I'd want to be one of those doctors. But it's not being framed that way. It's being framed as unrelenting misery.

Again: If we had a different president, I just don't think it would be packaged as much that way.

Draft saved Draft deleted