1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

These sounds like outdoor activities. School unfortunately is not an outdoor activity.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

It’s just weird.

I’ve seen you explain how kids don’t die from this, so they should go back to school. I’ve never seen you consider kids bringing corona home with them ... you know - the place where other not-kids live.

I need to go find the newspaper story I read about the old lady who brought Spanish Flu home from school and killed her parents ...

SFIND likes this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Somebody brought it up, so I addressed it.

Many angles to look at. That's what I try to do. Hard as it is to fathom, there's not one ultimate absolute truth hanging out there that half the country refuses to grasp.

If I say, "Have you considered . . .? that doesn't mean what I'm asking you to consider is 100 percent my take on the ultimate position. It's something . . . to consider.

If it were up to me, schools are an essential service, and masks are a mandatory accessory in the execution of this service. Just as they are everywhere else. We've been told ad nauseum how easy it is to save lives with this one little requirement. Consider it part of the school dress code.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  5. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Alright then: To answer you question ... yes, I have considered just taking hundreds of elementary age kids and putting them back together with my kid in school, and it’s a stupid fucking idea.

“But teachers sucked at the online school when they had to drop everything last March and do it virtually,” is not a reason.

We can do better.

6. BTExpress

I don't know that teachers sucked. I do know that 3,000 students in my city's system never even logged in.

You crack the whip and demand attendance and assignments completed and quality work to graduate, and you have my attention.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

unless you got no internet

or computer

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. BTExpress

I've got no internet. Or computer. In nine months I'll graduate, without having done any work since March 2020. Because for some reason I can't wear a mask in a classroom.

Sounds like a winning idea to me.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    no phone
    no lights
    no motor car
    not a single luxury
    like robinson crusoe
    it's primitive as can be

OscarMadison, SFIND and HanSenSE like this.
  11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Why are you implying that schools won't learn from what went wrong in March through June?

It is inexcusable for any school not to do better, and demanding attendance, the completion of work and quality work to graduate or otherwise advance is a big part of that.

OscarMadison, SFIND and Spartan Squad like this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Maybe worth remembering at this point in the circular argument over getting kids back in schools that technology - specifically the computer - has been sold to us for more than half a century as the greatest breakthrough in the history of education.

How's that workin' out for us?

OscarMadison and SFIND like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted