1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

And all of which presumes your rural kids and your urban core kids even have a computer, and adequate internet access, which many don't.

Most of the kids I work with here in NYC don't have either - so they use the library. And those services and hours have been diminishing the last few years thanks to tax and budget cuts anyway.

And now you've got the same Covid shutdown restrictions there in any case.

Cell phones, even smart phones, aren't sufficient to the task.

So "remote learning, " as bad as it is, is a non-starter for a some percentage of American kids unless/until we can underwrite better access for them.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Donny in his element and SFIND like this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If this thing gets going and LSU is 5-0, there is no way they will report positive tests. And there is no way that the local parish health department, no matter how overwhelmed, has the power to stop it.

OscarMadison, SFIND and Inky_Wretch like this.
  3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Gripping his pillow tight, no doubt.

5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I think we — and by "we" I mean my wife — have decided to send our soon to be first-grader to the private school she went to for preschool, the Seventh-Day Adventist place. Small class sizes and friends she still talks about, so that's good. My wife and I are going to tour the place on Monday — it's separate from the preschool areas — meet the teacher and see how it feels.

My confidence about her or our older daughter making it through a full school year is at less than 50 percent. Well, way less, actually. We're going to try, though, and see if we can make it.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is exactly what has to happen. Schools have to ensure that all students have access to computers and WiFi, or the whole thing falls apart.

SFIND, Spartan Squad and Azrael like this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Yep.

And as terrible a thing as C19 is on its own, it has also exposed tremendous cracks in our social systems here. Our failure to care for one another - or even ourselves - is pretty stark.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We've had active shooter training each of the past two years in my (now former) office.

Thirty sitting ducks huddling in a corner was not part of the drill.

Inventing ways to barricade doors, finding exits that aren't readily apparent and distracting the shooter with flying objects were part of the drill.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Have you investigated whether you get a refund if you decide to get her out of there before the end of the year?
    Second question: Private colleges encourage tuition insurance coverage. Might be worth a look at whether such a thing exists in this case. I'm guessing it doesn't because any carriers have probably gotten out of the game for anything aside from colleges. But I figured I'd throw it out there. Best of luck.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I've thought about this a lot over the last couple of months or so. And I don't understand the mentality that seems to grip America where you're in it for yourself, maybe a few friends and family. But that you really don't care about anyone else for their well-being. You don't care if they're homeless or if they don't have enough food. there's no compassion and no empathy.

And I don't understand a society that criminalizes the people in those positions. And this virus has really revealed that it's not just the less fortunate we don't care about, it's everybody.

Draft saved Draft deleted