1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My state just announced over the weekend they would begin mandatory coronavirus testing for nursing home staff.

Surprise No. 1: Just NOW they're doing that?

Surprise No. 2: Nursing homes STILL account for 50 percent of NC's COVID-19 deaths.

maumann likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That seems high. If I'm reading the numbers correctly, nursing homes don't even account for 25 percdent of the COVID-19 death total in New York.

4. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

March, it would have made a difference and we knew a little more in march. Any of those early month would have been a world of difference.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'm sure Fatfuck will be eager to try an untested vaccine... on Tiffany.

SFIND likes this.
  8. BTExpress

That's OK. Westerners discounted the Sabin polio vaccine, too, when trials were under way in the USSR in 1959. The one Eastern Europeans were using instead of the Salk vaccine.

The Sabin vaccine eventually replaced Salk's around the world by the mid-1960s.

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

BTE, lay odds on Russia having a safe vaccine for the world to use right now?

My number is 17% chance.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Not to sweat too many details, but Salk's was ready four years earlier.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. BTExpress

Of course. Wasn't discounting that at all. Just noting the typical skepticism about anything coming from "there."

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Nobody is "discounting" anything.

There are more than 100 vaccines in development around the world, with dozens of them already tested in humans at the Phase 1 or Phase 2 stage. Some already in wide Phase 3 tests.

Any of those 100+ could be being mass produced right now to be injected into hundreds of millions of people without regard for their safety or efficacy. And maybe if someone did that, the vaccine would ultimately prove safe and maybe somewhat effective.

Others don't do that, though, because they don't make hundreds of millions of people into guinea pigs without first doing a solid Phase 3 trial to try to minimize the possible risks.

Putin is willing to put the Russian people potentially at risk -- he could give two shits if his people die in his experiment -- to pound his chest and claim Russian ingenuity.

I am glad the rest of the world isn't that reckless. It doesn't matter if a Russian vaccine ultimately proves to be safe and/or effective. He is willing to potentially kill people or give them a false sense of security on a vaccine that hasn't been proven effective, on a gambit.

Draft saved Draft deleted