1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

There was a story this weekend saying immunity only lasts 2-3 months, but there's some dispute. Ive also read that it may last longer in T-cells than antibodies. Just proof that we still don't know a ton.

I'm another person who believes I had it -- also in the first week of March. Really would like to find out for sure. We bought a Peloton in May, because I believe general physical health is critical. Not a guarantee, but it increases your odds.

TigerVols likes this.
  2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

4. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

He would have to yell REALLY LOUD for me to hear him.

PCLoadLetter, SFIND and garrow like this.
  5. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

We walk at least 5 times a week. You can't stroll you have to go at a good pace. We are lucky that it's a little hilly and that helps.
    I honestly feel that I have beaten off heart disease and diabetes that my mother had.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Well, shit. Got a message from home around 3 a.m. saying I need to book a flight. The family is taking grandma out of assisted living and putting her with my aunt. Evidently grandma has vascular dementia, which works far quicker than Alzheimer's. The hospice nurse says grandma is "transitioning", which is frustratingly vague but I take to mean time is short.

Three grandparents in a year. Unlike the one in April, this time I'm told I'm expected to fly back. I don't feel as torn about this one compared to the last one -- I can (kind of) afford a ticket on short notice, and I've finished my probationary period at a new job rather than being in the final weeks of grad school. Still nervous, though. Flying to the US will probably be fine with plenty of elbow room; it's the trip back that worries me. This is not the best time to be an American journalist traveling to Hong Kong, even putting aside the pandemic.

Mom tells me the people of Omaha have generally been good about wearing masks, though the weekend crowds at Hy-Vee and Baker's suggest social distancing isn't exactly top of mind. Guess I'm about to find out for myself. This all sucks so much.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sorry, my friend. Condolences.

Good luck.

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry. Prayers for you and your family. Be safe.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I’m sorry. Best wishes to you and your family.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Because we need some good news …

It looks like despite some folks overreacting to the normal breakdown of antibodies about 3 months after exposure, more research has shown that the normal human immune response is working correctly. Like that tweet I posted a month or so pointed out, it’s not just antibodies — it’s T cells and B cells that are key.

Scientists See Signs of Lasting Immunity to Covid-19, Even After Mild Infections — The New York Times

Best wishes to you and your family, @TrooperBari.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

obesity is a co-morbidity for everything.

now what?

Spartan Squad likes this.
  12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

So, in our town’s Facebook page, someone was complaining about the NJ plan to send everyone mail in ballots because she wanted to vote in person. Against my better judgment, I replied and wrote that it seemed to make sense because these are unique times and as much as I enjoy voting in person, public health concerns should win out. Here is the response (in part):

I agree 100% if there is a valid reason. This virus is NOT a valid reason. The virulence and death rate is less than H1N1, it has just been played up for political reasons. And before you bring up Fauci, Birx, the faked statistics, and the blah-blah-blah, I’m a first responder with MANY friends and family in medicine and healthcare, and what’s being reported is so far from the truth that I am more than disgusted. I know the media is bought and paid for by the leftists, but the extent of the misinformation in this case is stunning. This is about control and nothing else. And make no mistake – Fauci, Birx, and anybody in a position of authority in government has been on a prophylactic dose of hydroxychloroquine and zinc ever since the results of the successful French clinical trial came out. There should never have been a lockdown and the fact that we are still in a pseudo-lockdown is unconscionable.

Draft saved Draft deleted