1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Thanks, folks. I fly out Thursday morning. Preliminary research suggests getting into the US should be as easy as I thought -- reports from coworkers who've been back recently say no one is asking for forms or tests at the airport.

Getting back to Hong Kong will be the adventure. I need proof of a negative nucleic acid Covid-19 test in the previous 72 hours before they'll let me on the plane, I'll get tested again once I land, and I have to spend two weeks of quarantine in a hotel (on my dime) instead of my apartment. A hassle, yes, but it beats saying final goodbyes via Skype.

3. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Safe travels.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

We are going through something similar right now. Ms. Ragu is flying from the U.S. to France. They won't let me into France b/c I am not a citizen, and they have cut off America, so she is on her own. We have agonized over this trip. Her parents are in their mid 80s, and we would have visited by now in the year. She is going to stay there for 2 1/2 months and work from there.

She needs to prove she is negative with a PCR test 72 hours before her flight or they won't let her board. It effectively means it has to be 48 hours, because the flight is in the early evening and if she does it 3 days before during the testing hours, it will be past the 72 hour window.

We found a lab in New Jersey that promised the results will be e-mailed to her in 48 hours. Please keep your fingers crossed. All of the logistics of this trip are stressing us out.

Safe travels, @TrooperBari

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

good luck

Jerry-atric and Regan MacNeil like this.
  6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

7. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Our local school district finally announced its plans for fall ... and of course, being a hybrid model, it pleased no one and angered just about everyone.

Schools will open a week later than usual (Sept. 14 instead of the Tuesday after Labor Day), and kids will attend in-person either Monday and Tuesday or Thursday and Friday, with Wednesday a "deep cleaning" day. Online learning will be available on the days children aren't in school.

I get that this plan reduces the number of students in each classroom by half, and by putting kids in the classroom on back-to-back days (rather than alternating days), it might help parents with work schedules and/or day care.

I feel bad for parents, the kids and especially the teachers who have to live with this far-from-perfect plan, but I guess it's better than not being in the buildings at all.

(My kids are young adults)

Neutral Corner and maumann like this.
  9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Are they lengthening the school day to make up for lost in-person instructional time?

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

No.

And as in many school districts, good luck if your kids take the bus. They are desperate to find bus drivers here, because with the pandemic, those jobs will be tougher than ever. Most school bus drivers are empty nesters and/or retirees looking for a few extra bucks and good benefits. They're not looking to be exposed to the coronavirus.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Nighty night, MyPillow Guy.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

New product launch ahead: The CryIntoMyPillow

Draft saved Draft deleted