1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Good grief. What a nightmare.

2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Sorry. Sucks.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yikes. Any chance your family's willing to pass a hat around to help you out?

Meanwhile, I'm thinking it's pretty assinine that the international air carriers haven't bonded together to fund an instant COVID test site at every airport. I mean for crying out loud I took one at the Ventura County Fairgrounds the other day and got my results in 30 minutes for $100.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know the deal with what the govt. is requiring in Hong Kong, but when we were dealing with this for a flight to France, it had to be a PCR test. A negative within 72 hours of boarding. The Abbott Labs / instant tests aren't accepted by the French govt., because they give too many false negatives.

We managed to make it work, but unlike the logistics Trooper is dealing with, she had a direct flight, so if they turned her away at the airport for whatever reason, she would have just headed back to our apartment in NY. We got her tested Monday for a flight on Wednesday night. We didn't get the results until right before we left for the airport. Thankfully the lab came through. There were a lot of labs that were taking 5 to 7 days to get people results from PCR tests, but we got this lab from the French Consulate and drove to the lab itself for them to take the sample to cut a doctors office in NY out of the loop -- one less place for things to go wrong, we figured.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Payday was the 27th, so I should be OK for a while longer. I don't want to impinge on the family, especially so soon after a funeral (shockingly expensive things, they are). The American Airlines people told me they used to have a place for testing within the DFW airport but it got discontinued a couple months ago -- they had no clue as to why.

Just got back from my latest test. I'm hedging my bets with a trip to a local Walgreens tomorrow -- one of the lab techs today said they had PCR tests with results in 24 hours or less. As I'm now scheduled to fly out Tuesday night, that would be well within the window. Hong Kong wants a "nucleic acid test", which is another name for PCR. On top of the negative test within 72 hours of the flight to Hong Kong with an EXACT name match and all the other details, they want documentation of the lab/hospital's accreditation and a confirmed reservation of 14 days at a Hong Kong hotel (must be a hotel, no hostel, Air B&B, etc.). Part of the problem is the Hong Kong government keeps moving the goalposts under pressure from medical experts and various industry/interest groups. Its fecklessness was mildly tolerable while I was safely inside the city; now it's just infuriating.

maumann, TigerVols and Inky_Wretch like this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

SFIND likes this.
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Hope it was more legitimate than the IDs you can get in Vegas.

[​IMG]

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Great plan!

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

This was happening so often that Americans using the "Alaska loophole" now are required to display at all times a tag on their rearview mirror that has where and when they entered Canada and the date they should be out (giving them just enough time for a direct trip). People are genuinely pissed about this shit.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Canadians just don't understand that Americans think they should be allowed to do what they want, and when they want. Rules are for other people.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Oh no ... Canadians totally understand that Americans think that way.

Draft saved Draft deleted