1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I think he means "countries," but his point is well-taken.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

For the life of me, I haven't understood why this has been so difficult. ... for the last 3, 4 months it has made me nuts.

1) Try to get the virus under control and not spreading rampantly. Shut down when transmission is accelerating, avoid indoor areas, don't congregate, wear masks. Do everything you can to get the thing under control.
    2) IF and WHEN you get the virus under control, start to have discussions about "reopening" restaurants and schools, etc.

It was common sense. Rational people were saying this in May. They were saying it in June and July after the impulsive behavior in this country turned us into a giant viral petri dish and set the course for this being way worse than it had to be.

As a country we gave into our dumbest, most irrational impulses, and the result is that we took the inconvenience and hardship caused by the pandemic and in effect turned it into a much worse inconvenience.

We are a nation of idiots.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Great Britain (611 deaths per million) great success story.
    USA (577 deaths per million) abject failure.

And why is another great success story (Canada) languishing near the US WRT the restaurant graphic?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Nobody called Great Britain's response a great success story. The Atlantic was doing stories on how badly they failed.

Say it enough, htough. ... and it still won't turn the stupid behavior of a lot of Americans, which made this way worse than it should have been. ... into anything other than. ... a study in stupidity.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Baron Scicluna and maumann like this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Of course not. Gotta keep the money train going. Tuition, grants and athletic boosters, baby.

SFIND likes this.
  11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Any media member who suggests footbawwwwl can’t be played is a libruhl who hates Amurrrica.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Well, that’s one way to keep things from going into the crapper on campus.

As 5,000 students prepared for move-in day at the University of Arizona this week, the school warned they would be tested periodically for the coronavirus. One test, though, doesn’t involve a nose swab. The university is regularly screening the sewage from each dorm, searching for traces of the virus.

On Thursday, officials said the technique worked — and possibly prevented a sizable outbreak on campus. When a wastewater sample from one dorm came back positive this week, the school quickly tested all 311 people who live and work there and found two asymptomatic students who tested positive. They were quickly quarantined.​

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/08/28/arizona-coronavirus-wastewater-testing/

Draft saved Draft deleted