1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Good for your state association. At least those people have spines. In Ohio, our association is bullishly pushing for full seasons. That's because they're in such bad shape financially, they damn well want to chase every potential dollar they can.

This shit is ridiculous. Politicians caving to the same people who call and bitch that we don't write about their kid enough.

I'm saddened to hear places like Colorado are reconsidering. Are they seriously looking at places like Ohio and thinking that they're missing out? We're barely into the season and barely into schools reopening (the last of which are opening this week) and we're already seeing kids get sick, games getting canceled and schools temporarily closing. I guess they're willing to file that under"acceptable losses." What would it take for the losses to be unacceptable? Bodies in the streets?

Sure, games are getting played here every Friday -- I'm at one every Friday. It isn't exactly all sunshine and roses. Dozens of schools have had COVID outbreaks in the past two weeks and have canceled athletic events and/or in-person classes. One school district based in a small village (less than 1,000 people) shut down its schools because of an outbreak there.

Meanwhile, we're still racking up about 1,000 cases and 20 deaths per day. But DeWine was happy to report only 600-some yesterday, so game-on, I guess!

Roscablo likes this.
  2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

OscarMadison and SFIND like this.
  3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Caution: Tweetstorm ahead ...

upload_2020-9-9_16-5-18.jpeg

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Our school district has virtual classes. That didn't stop the HS seniors on the first day in their painted cars from gathering without masks in the mall parking lot for a parade. I found out when someone from out of town was so alarmed by Insta photos they called the cops, who broke up the rally.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'm wondering if it was all a smokescreen by Polis. "Hey, I was open to opening football. Wasn't my call."

6. MileHigh

Yeah, no. The the state association commissioner dropped a bomb at 5 p.m. on Labor Day saying they are reconsidering. Decision no later than Thursday.

Governor on Tuesday: Ready to work to reopen it.

Somehow on Tuesday night, the state association board voted unanimously not to change the calendar.

The commissioner obviously didn't have the temperature in the room of the board, otherwise why put out that statement? And get coaches' kids' and parents' hopes up only to dash them 36 hours later. Complete bullshit.

We have low numbers. And have been trending that way for several weeks. And neighboring states are playing.

Rightly, the state association is getting crapped on on social media. As it should.

maumann likes this.
  7. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Has to be a political ploy. Now you have all these people up in arms about CHSAA (not that they aren't without blame). I'm tired of the divide, especially among leaders. Get your stories straight and be firm. People may not like it but at least that's how it's going to be. Stop freaking dividing people when everyone is having a ridiculously hard time anyway.

OscarMadison and MileHigh like this.
  8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I agree. It all comes down to not having a firm stance, as I said to Mile High above. It's like, screw whatever is going on, other places are doing it and we're tired so let's change our minds and do it too. I'm tired, everyone is tired, but let's at least try to think this crap out. Of course that's laughable at this point, but still.

9. MileHigh

You don't drop a bomb at 5 p.m. on Labor Day that you're reconsidering. Less than 24 hours, the governor is ready to work with you to make it work.

Eight hours later, it's unanimous, we're not changing.

What in the serious F is that?

Everyone -- players, coaches, parents, officials -- were geared up to resume practice the week of the 21st. Games the first week of October. Then you pull that crap after getting one's hopes up. After you've had several kids transfer out of state just for the chance to play.

Honestly, there could be a huge revolt to just go to club sports and have CHSAA go away. Which the districts might be fine with so they don't have to fund it anymore.

Oh, and youth sports are playing here. I did a semipro football game on Saturday. I'm bombarded every day looking for basketball, football and baseball officials for youth sports.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm convinced 99 percent of the "crowded beach" photos are bullshit, taken from angles to look like they're way more crowded than they are. I looked down the beach yesterday at Chincoteague and could see exactly why those photos would look that way, from eye level. Then I looked at the area around me and no one was within 10 feet of me, much less six. Optical illusion.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Local college had Rush Week last week. Big parties on Saturday night. More than a dozen possible cases have been linked to them so far - pending test results.

12. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

We walked the beach in Garden City SC the last week of July. There are sections that have high rises and sections that have single homes. We actually started out on the street and decided to go in for a dip. We went in the public entrance near the section of private homes because there were way fewer people on the beach. Looking down towards our high rise was like looking at a herd on the Walking Dead. Wish I had taken a pic.

Draft saved Draft deleted