1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Russia lying? I am shocked!

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Twenty-six scientists, most of them working at universities in Italy, have signed an open letter questioning the reliability of the data presented in the early-stage trial results of the Russian COVID-19 vaccine, named “Sputnik-V”.

Addressing the editor of The Lancet, the international peer-reviewed medical journal in which Moscow’s Gamaleya Institute published its early-stage trial results, the scientists said they saw patterns in the data that looked “highly unlikely”.

The letter, published on the personal blog page of one of the signatories, said the Phase I/II trial results data showed multiple participants reporting identical antibody levels.

“On the ground of simple probabilistic evaluations the fact of observing so many data points preserved among different experiments is highly unlikely,” the open letter said.​

Some scientists spot 'unlikely' patterns in Russia vaccine data: letter — Reuters

maumann likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

From signing an open letter to falling out of an open window. What a country.

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

All of this innovation comes at a cost. Implementing UIUC's testing capability, including modifying the veterinary lab for COVID testing, ran about $6 million to $7 million, Jones said. It's an investment for the near future.

"We think this has given us a competitive advantage, time will tell," Jones said. "Testing is going to be with us until the next year, next two, maybe next three -- we don't know."

Basically the cost of a D1 football coach's yearly salary.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The thing is that universities can either approach this reasonably and in a businesslike way, or they can be swept up into political posturing. That $6-7m is an investment in being a functional institution, as opposed to being whipsawed by poor decisions allowed to fester uncontrolled.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yep, that $6-7 million is money well spent. At my university, every 1 percent drop in enrollment is about $15 million in lost tuition. If we hadn't had thorough arrival testing and weren't able to open safely, plenty of students would have passed on the all-online option, decided for a gap year, etc., and odds would be pretty good that me and a lot of my colleagues would be out of work.

maumann and Neutral Corner like this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Arkansas Governor announces the end to daily updates. They’ll be done “when needed.”

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That's tremendous. Committed and capable of conducting your own tests on your own campus. Not through some third-party lab. The testing facility is only a golf-cart ride away from the drop-off points.
    There just aren't that many schools that can do this sort of thing.

maumann likes this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Nebraska has decided to go one better on Arkansas, removing most restrictions and pretending it's February again. Never mind their test-positivity rate is still 9%, they have their highest hospitalized count in three months (according to COVID Tracking Project) and they just had their highest one-day death count (15) the other day.
    Nebraska to drop almost all state-imposed COVID-19 mandates

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Remember the good old days when that was the entire reasoning behind restrictions?

Draft saved Draft deleted