1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

We'll never be known as the Ugly Americans. We're over-qualified.

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

So, yeah, if I had actually gotten a test and was awaiting the result, I wouldn't have left my house. I'm not a monster.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Miss giving my parents (86 & 84) hugs and kisses.

OscarMadison and Spartan Squad like this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

American woman, get away from me.
    Let me be.

Webster, daemon, SFIND and 1 other person like this.
  6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I fist bumped my dad (68) just recently. I'm not going to lie, I needed a moment after I did.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I miss my parents.

OscarMadison and Spartan Squad like this.
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Suddenly reminded after talking to a friend tonight it's been five months since my uncle died and we still haven't been able to hold a memorial service.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Skepticism is warranted. The study that underpins these claims appears to come from a couple think tanks linked to Steve Bannon and Guo Wengui (who have publicly stated their desire to overthrow Xi Jinping and the CPC), and said groups have not published any previous scientific or medical research. As a wise man once said, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The genetic sequence for the virus was mapped and distributed globally early this year, so if Dr. Yan is correct that Sars-Cov2 was created in a lab, she's privy to knowledge that has somehow eluded almost everyone else working on this.

And the notion that China unleashed the virus to end the Hong Kong protests is utterly risible. Not only did it not work, but the thought that an export-dependent economy would let loose something that could wreck global markets for years and beggar the economies that buy all the stuff China makes in the hope of ending the protests when it could make protesters disappear whenever it wants is so detached from reality it belongs on InfoWars. The central government already does whatever it wants to whomever it wants within China's borders -- just ask the Tibetans, Uyghurs, Hui Muslims, Christians, and anyone with a whiff of dissent about them. The fig leaf of enforcing social distancing during a pandemic for external display only.

Steve Bannon Is Behind Bogus Study That China Created COVID
    PolitiFact - Tucker Carlson guest airs debunked conspiracy theory that COVID-19 was created in a lab
    University of Hong Kong rejects accusations from academic of Covid-19 cover-up

OscarMadison and SFIND like this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Thanks. I figured Trumpists would find someone with a PHd and lab experience to help in their battle against inconvenient truths. The same was done to support Tobacco (Tobacco Institute) Global Warming (see Robinson, Art) and gum (the fifth dentist who doesn't recommend Trident).
    I still figure people will ride this one researcher as "proof" to support their conspiracy theories.

OscarMadison, ChrisLong and SFIND like this.
  11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

More than likely. To be fair to Dr. Yan, though, I can completely understand the impulse to GTFO, especially if one is working in a politically sensitive area in which the central government has an interest in ensuring a particular result. She might well have seen what became of the Covid whistleblowers on the mainland and took the quickest route to self-preservation.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Had trouble sleeping this morning, and the thought that kept running through my mind was that Mom died in April and we also haven’t been able to have her funeral, entirely due to Trump’s pandemic.

Draft saved Draft deleted