1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clay Travis, Boobs and CNN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Sep 15, 2017.

1. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Whitlock is apparently reading this thread lol

(also, hi, Jason, you're a clown)

Col. Nathan R. Jessup likes this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I like my takes too.

It’s possible my second take is off because I’m reading into how Whitlock feels. I can own that.

I’ll stand by thinking the column was mean.

Patchen and Hermes like this.
  3. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Of course it was mean. Anyone with a modicum of decency knows it was mean.

Whitlock claimed in his original column about Maria Taylor that she's just being held to the same standard as men. OK, then why hasn't Whitlock written about the hundreds of male airheads who have risen to cushy jobs simply because they have a strong chin and a good head of hair?

Why is it that men never get labeled as pretty faces who speak well? Whitlock's comparisons for Taylor were other women. Why not a male ESPN sideline reporter/host?

And his screed against Katie Nolan reads more like a note from a guy who got turned down at a bar than a professional critique. It reads personal, and it smacks of a lack of understanding of his profession. Media executives have played favorites for decades, and countless men have been the beneficiaries of excessive chances simply because a suit had their back.

In fact, one could argue Whitlock is one of those men.

But that'd take a bit of honesty from Jason, and he's apparently too busy trying to score internet points by writing uncalled for hit pieces.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Mr. Whitlock is the punchline to an unfunny joke.

But hey, he's trending on Twitter this morning, so mission accomplished.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Alma goes national, yo. I always knew you had it in you.

Anyhoo ... Jason writes well but wastes his time and talent on useless dollops of murk like this.

#caahoops ...

6. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

One of the most disturbing themes Whitlock hammers away at is his idea that everyone who asks for social justice is being misled by the media and social media mobs - as if none of these people are smart enough to make decisions based on their own experiences. In his mind, there is no NBA, NFL, MLB or media personality who can think for themselves and decide "this is a problem worth my time."
    Quite insulting that he listens (or doesn't listen) to men such as Thabo Sefolasha, Doc Rivers, Kenny Smith, Chris Paul, Fred VanVleet, LeBron James, Steve Kerr, Greg Popovich etc. and decides they are all sheep who are really trying to take the easy road to success through claiming woke victimhood. All these people would say that it is important to work hard, be on time, take accountability, treat people right and accept coaching and criticism in their daily lives, just as Whitlock demands. They have also decided something is wrong with other parts of American life and they are speaking up.

I understand how it works - MSM/CHINA/LeBron/Kapernick/Nike/ESPN/Woke/NBA/Stand/Kneel/Blue Lives Matter equals clicks.

SFIND and stix like this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think this was true ten years ago, but no longer.

Sentence to sentence the work is unremarkable, unmemorable as either poetry or argument, and he needs an editor to curb his worst impulses and excise his repetitions.

As to his time and talent, this is what he chooses to spend them on, so this is who he is as a writer.

He's a blogger who thinks 'it helps to be good looking' is a hot take.

Dog8Cats and Liut like this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Once you enter the "Hot Take League" you have to keep raising your game (courting controversy) otherwise people get bored. Seriously, all the sports going on right now and the "big issue" is a sideline reporter? Do any athletes return his calls or has he taken the Mariotti approach of getting all his info off of TV.
    And I always enjoy people who complain about sports "getting political." See The Olympics, Hitler, genuflecting to the military at the start of every game or race - people complaining now just don't like it that their politics have to share the stage.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Whitlock has ripped male journalists before.

10. travace

travace New Member

Whitlock goes after "white liberals" the way Hitler attacked the Jews. The man is just a hate-filled shit talker who's been lucky enough to make a lot of money by doing this.

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Mr. Martin Tanner, baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well-prepared but, unfortunately, his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order.

12. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Bingo, this hits it on the head.

Whitlock could’ve been great. He’s wasted his talents on petty shit like this.

Funny how the man who’s made an entire career and reputation on grievances rips Katie Nolan for making an entire career and reputation on grievances.

Whitlock’s own ego wrecked him. Which doesn’t make him too much different from a lot of people, to be fair.

Draft saved Draft deleted