1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clay Travis, Boobs and CNN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Sep 15, 2017.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Pic or GTFO

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I mean, part of this discussion is that Nolan's talent is under far more scrutiny just because there are so few women as compared to men that are on-air talent, especially when you subtract employees solely in roles like sideline reporter or studio host. Prominent women with their own opinion-based shows on ESPN have been like, her, Michelle Beedle... I don't have ESPN currently, so Maria Taylor? Whereas if you're a middle of the pack guy there, you just hang around on air forever. (Is Jonathan Coachman still around?)

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I think shes under scrutiny because so many of the media critic crowd push how great she is on Twitter and there’s a natural push back, like “really, she’s just OK?” And then all hell breaks loose because you’ve dared not anoint her. And if you don’t think she’s the greatest most deserving talented person ever you’re a caveman mysoginist.

totally separate from the Whitlock thing, that’s been the Katie Nolan experience for years far as I can tell.

PaperClip529 and SFIND like this.
  4. The idea of starting a media outlet around the premise that a Disney-owned network that has a rights deal with the NFL is a radical left-wing organization is hilarious.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Whatever point he had was directed at Taylor. The shot at Nolan was gratuitous and mean spirited. I don't read him at all, or watch either of his targets, but I guess his new persona is TV journalism bully.

Liut likes this.
  6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yeah ... pretty much where I stand. Extraordinary? No. Decent, but far from extraordinary.

Thing is, I suspect the WWL just poached her from Fox Sports because they could, not because they had any serious ideas that worked with her skills. Given that they're still far too much about the Horowitz screamfests, it's telling that she's not doing any of those given their typical utilization of the WWL's "talent." OTOH, thank goodness she's not ... with the exception of Kornheiser, Wilbon and PTI, those shows are useless.

But if the figures I heard were correct, given that the WWL and The Mouse are grousing about spending, that's a lot of money to spend to play keep away and/or put someone far on the end of the bench.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

8. Songbird

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I’m not watching that.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I liked Garbage Time well enough as it reminded of a sports version of The Soup, but better than the sports version of The Soup that the producers of The Soup attempted.

That dude is now the American Ninja guy, and, super crazy fun fact, he's also a doctor. Him and Ken Jeong should do a show together.

Anyway, Garbage Time was funny and Nolan is clearly talented. It wasn't in a reliable time slot and Fox Sports didn't seem to know what to do with it.

I gave up on ESPN years ago, outside of live sports, so I have no idea if what she does for them is any good but she's an Emmy winner, so something is there.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. Songbird

Watched the Whitlock vid.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Maria Taylor was taking heat because she left LeBron off her NBA ballot. A mistake, sure, and you take your heat for it...but hardly an indictment of her entire body of work. She has a real presence.

I havent seen a ton of her work, but she seems very confident on camera, and that's a huge part of the battle.

Draft saved Draft deleted