1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You just know some teacher is going to be busted doing something inappropriate on Zoom.

Sea Bass and HanSenSE like this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That isn't politics. As a negotiating tactic, it's the equivalent of a kindergarten classroom just before nap time.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

How blinded are the voters? "Hey the economy's great! Dow Jones is at a record!" Well don't look at the DJIA, look at your bank account, your credit card balances. Wall St. is only 10% of the population. How's the economy doing for YOU?

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

You usually have to pay extra for that. Or so I'm told.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Trump publicly tanks a wildly popular stimulus bill in a way that places the blame squarely on him, causing the stock market to tumble.

I saw someone on twitter ask if he would be doing anything different if he were trying to lose, and I’m having trouble coming up with it. This is one of the worst weeks I’ve ever seen a politician have.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The belief that Trump is a rational actor is widespread on Wall St. despite being on its face about as wrong as can be. Actually, the Street has the power to get Trump back to the table. A couple of 1000 point drop trading days would do it.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I may be wrong, but isn't his "after the election" part, pretty much extortion? Vote for me or you get no money?

lakefront, HanSenSE and TowelWaver like this.
  8. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Remember, and please never forget, these are the rules President Donald Trump lives by each and every hour.

Rule No. 1: (And I can't say this bigly enough) Everything I do is for me, myself and I.
    Rules No. 2 through 200 million: See rule No. 1.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Good to see he isn’t pitting red states and blue states against each other.

TowelWaver likes this.
  10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

not just for himself. He’s incapable of long-term thinking or delayed gratification.

he will literally say or do whatever he believes will maximize personal aggrandizement or minimize shame in that exact moment.

lakefront, bigpern23 and TowelWaver like this.
  11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

As a political move, anyone whose primary issues are anti-abortion, anti-LGBT is already voting for him. This adds no one.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There is no Wall Street, the way you are imagining it. The volumes over the last 2 years have been anemic, particularly since the pandemic and the Fed nationalizing the debt markets. There is no two-way trade anymore. All that is left are computer algorithms with billions of dollars of Citadel (and others like them) money behind them, and they do things like scan the released texts of speeches by Fed governors within miliseconds of them getting released, or Trump tweets just as he is hitting the send button, and they push markets based on it. It's really easy to do, precisely because there is no Wall Street left. Wall Street as you are talking about it, doesn't evaluate Trump that way. Most of them are fully invested with an overweight in equities, because the typical client won't understand that it's more prudent to sit it out. And in a world in which there is no yield, they feel they have no choice. They are playing the "don't fight the Fed" game, and praying they can get out in time. What worked so well for them in 2002 and 2008. The rest are sitting on the sidelines hoping to wait out the lunacy, feeling every day like capitulating. Trump usually has nothing to do with any of this.

maumann likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.