1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

There was a time when Miranda was one of my closest friends. We started together as cub reporters at the Boston Herald.
    I don't recognize her now. I think I know why she's writing and saying this irresponsible nonsense, but every time I read or watch her my heart sinks.
    I miss my old friend.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What an idiot that woman is.

"People in power who are insisting on keeping the economy shut down, insisting on keeping Americans just as frightened as they were 6 months ago. ... are selfish"?

Here is an empirical example of reality. The movie theater chains got the go ahead to restart operations a month ago. A month later they shut down. ... NOT because "people in power" forced them to.

It's because they found out the obvious. ... the masses are not going to go to a movie theater while this virus is a threat.

It took an inevitable (not wishful thinking, but what was entirely predictable) chain of events. The studios aren't dumb. They won't release movies when nobody is going to go-- again, not because of "people in power" but because of people -- the vast majority of us -- who aren't reckless idiots. And if people won't go, they can't release a movie profitably.

The new James Bond film, which is ready for release, along with a bunch of other large-budget films that are ready to go, has been pushed back into 2021. And the movie theater chains had to shut down, because without movies to show, they can't afford to keep the tens of thousands of people they employ on a payroll, manning empty movie theaters.

It's mind boggling to me. The situation sucks. The answer isn't to pretend the virus doesn't exist. The rational thing would be to use your efforts to try to find a way to make the virus less of a threat so we can hopefully get back to living. We have spent the last half a year just not doing that, and worse, behaving in ways designed to make the virus MORE of a threat.

Thanks to people like that woman.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The headlines of two of her last three articles are:

Coronavirus battle shows the bravery of President Trump

Trump is a pit bull fighting for America

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

her tinder profile says likes: soldiers who didn't get captured

Fred siegle and matt_garth like this.
  5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Every day, Fatfuck and his minions make people angry. They love it. They are Pwning The Libs.

Problem is, he is making some of them angry enough to kill. Not just a few, either. Thousands. Tens of thousands and hundreds of thousands.

He is making them angry in ways that aren't going to go away in 30 days or 30 years. The kind of angry that lasts for decades.

Sessions and of course Fatfuck himself will shuffle off this mortal coil long before then, so they may escape a final reckoning.

But one wonderful thing about the internets is you can store information for a long long time. People are taking names.

So my hunch is sometime in the 2060s or 2070s, some semi elderly schmuck like Miller or Kushner or McEnaney or Hope Hicks or one of the other hitler youth will open the door to see a face.

it'll probably be a younger face, much younger than them. Maybe too young to have been locked in the concentration camps themselves. Or too young to have suffered from COVID themselves. But not too young to do something about what happened to their parents.
    Or grandparents.

These fuckers ain't much on self reflection, so they're not going to spend the next 50-some years wondering if they did the right thing. They don't give a fuck.

But they will spend the next 50 years jumping at every slamming door, every strange knock, every unexpected phone call, and every time their car's engine backfires. And some day somebody will be at the door.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Money

7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

fwiw, fatus tagged the wrong Kevin McCarthy.

garrow likes this.
  8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Wins one Stanley Cup and is now a political expert? Yeesh.

Donny in his element and garrow like this.
  9. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

She's really very bright. (I'm not arguing with the rest of your post at all.) In fact, Miranda was one of the smartest people I knew in Australia. Engaging, interested in the world, very educated, clever and a brilliant reporter. Her father was a legend in Australian journalism. I was there when she met her husband, when she got married, when she had her kids. Like I wrote, it breaks my heart to see her now. She's on loan to the NY Post from Sydney's Daily Telegraph (another place we worked together) to cover the election. Both are Murdoch publications. Four + years ago, she used to tweet how ridiculous she found Trump.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, gb.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

In late-night tweets, Trump changes course on coronavirus relief talks

Am I missing something, or are the headline and lead way off to this way off? President Trump didn't reverse course. He shut down negotiations on a relief package, then demanded funding for just certain items. It seems like an attempt to work around negotiations and eliminate most of the package.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.